1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass on a train?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Mar 29, 2013.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    So, I have my bass in a gig bag(left my hard case at practice, used my friends gig bag, thought it was mine) will it be safe? Is Amtrak known for being careful or careless?

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    In a gig bag it might be iffy, you'd have to ask them to keep an eye on it, and they may or ma not depending on the person dealing with it.

If it were a short-ish ride I'd put it in front of my knees.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'd even do that on a long-ish ride!

4. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, I'd just hold onto it. Amtrak seats have plenty of legroom. If anything, you might get the seat to yourself.

5. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Central Oregon
    I've had no troubles carrying on an Applause acoustic bass in a monstrous hard case. I often bury it in an observable baggage area, under other folks' baggage. A soft case I would absolutely keep next to me, if possible.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hand carried my 55-01D Lakland in a gig bag on a train from from Oakland, CA to Eugene, OR for a record date. No issues.

7. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Sounds like a Samuel L Jackson Movie.

Bass on a Train

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    TonyBassonaPlane.

9. If they'll let you carry it on with you, then go ahead and use the gig bag. If you have to check it in, use a well padded hard-shell case. If you can get your hands on a flight case, all the better. It's NEVER a good idea to check an instrument in if all you have is a gig bag... take my word for it, I've seen what can happen.

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Since trains have more room than planes, it seems you could and probably should just keep it with you.

11. Take it to your seat, overhead rack: perfect.

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    There is a famous story about Andy Summers of the Police transporting his guitar via electric train. He had his #1 Telecaster guitar in the cargo hold, and apparently the cargo hold was located near the electric motors. When he arrived at his destination & tried out his Tele, the pickups had become de-magnetized & needed to be re-magnetized by his repairman. I don't think this would be an issue if the train you're taking is a diesel powered train.

13. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Even diesel locomotives use electric motors to power the wheels. Hybrid electric/diesel technology has been around for a very long time.

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yeah, but that is only in the locomotive. Many European trainsets have electric motors under the passenger cars as well.

But don't ask me how I know, I'm not old enough:scowl:

15. SolarGranola

SolarGranola

May 22, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    It'll be totally fine. There's tons of room in the overhead bin and also plenty of room between seats. I ride the bus to and from my hometown multiple times a year, and I've always been able to take it on with me. In fact, no one has ever said anything about it.

I just took the bus yesterday (because it was much cheaper on short notice) and there was plenty of overhead bin space for the bass too. The driver didn't care at all.

A couple of years ago, I rode the bus all the way from DC to Seattle carrying my bass and that went very smoothly.

The only time I ever have an issue with my bass in transit is when I take a plane. :scowl: Never again.

16. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I see the title, and I think "I won't in a box, I won't with a fox, I won't on a plane, and I won't on a train..."

17. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    So if you all were wondering, they let me carry it on for 10 dollar fee and I ended up holding the whole ride. Found out those indents on the seats in the dining car sit the bass very snug.

18. EDIT: Oops, never mind - I just read your last post - way cool.

Amtrak has a good record. But it’s best to call Amtrak beforehand and ask (make arrangements) because each train can be different - also unless you have a bedroom they don’t usually let you carry on more than two small bags, and I wouldn’t put my bass in baggage - but, that’s me.

Also checkout the Amtrak website http://www.amtrak.com/home