Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on AIR's Moon Safari

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Parisongs, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Parisongs

Parisongs

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm trying for the life of me to figure out what bass is being used on the opening piece of this album. Anyone heard this CD? The bass playing is really melodic and it sounds like a hollowbody of sorts with flatwounds. I saw some concert footage and Justin Meldal-Johnsen was playing with them and using a Guild hollowbody of sorts. It seems though that the bass on the album might be a Hofner. Any clues? I love that tone!

2. Parisongs

Parisongs

Jan 25, 2001
    I guess nobody has heard this album or cares. Too bad for you. Its melodically brilliant and very different.

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    All I know is that the album has a wonderful production, and some outta sight playing, it is a special album - if you like it, I'd strongly recommend anything by Red Snapper. Red Snapper are slightly different, a bit more groovy, a little less ethereal, but they have their moments. The bass player plays an upright, the others are guitar, drums, sax and some female vocals. If you're gonna try them out, go for "Prince Blimey" first, as it's the most accessible and similar in feel to "Moon Safari".

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know which particular track we're talking about - what's it called? But there have been quite a few "Air" singles in the charts in the UK, which I've heard on the radio. Everything I've heard from them though, has been 100% "programmed" synth or sampled music - no real musicians involved.

I have also heard the aforementiond "Red Snapper" who quite clearly are different and do have "real" nusicians playing - I think I mentioed this elsewhere along with Roni Size as having double bass in a dance-oriented field, which is usually all programmed.

5. Parisongs

Parisongs

Jan 25, 2001
    Hey Bruce, MOST of their songs feature real musicians and real playing. There are a couple of songs here and there like "Sexy Boy" that has the synth bass. La Femme D'Argent is the opening track on Moon Safari that I was referring to which has real bass. Their music is extremely warm.

6. Grda

Grda

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll have to stand up in Air's defense as well. The guys play almost all of their instruments live. One of them plays keyboards and the other guitar and bass. They also sing really nicely. As for the La Femme D'argent bassline I'd have to say it's one of my favorites as well.
    Air are having a new album out soon as well.

7. I just thought I would resurrect this thread to mention the awesome bass playing throughout. From now on, my dream bass synth sound is the opening of "Sexy Boy".

Great album. Lots of good stuff...

L

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Blimey, this thread is a blast from the past!

Last years album 'Talkie Walkie' is also very good.

9. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Uuh, time these guys get some respect for their basslines :)

This is a longshot, but I remember seeing some video with live
    footage and I have this image in my mind they were using a fender P.
    I could be dead wrong, though :)

10. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
  11. Actually it looks like a Mustang or Musicmaster...

[​IMG]

I'll have to check out that other one. I think they did the soundtrack for "The Virgin Suicides" as well.

Thanks for the responses! I just picked up Moon Safari for like 8 bucks at Borders; I always knew it was a pretty cool album though...

L

12. 1000hz Legend was fantastic...as was Moon Safari. I am still diggin Talkie Walkie in heavy rotation...

"Cherry Blossom Girl" and "Surfin on a Rocket"...such good songs.

13. If you don't already know about this guy - Jason Falkner - http://www.jasonfalkner.com/ then you really should check him out - he played bass (brilliantly) with AIR for a couple of tours, I saw them on the second main stage at Glastonbury two years ago and they were great - and FYI Bruce - they are real musicians who PLAY LIVE! I can't believe your arrongance sometimes...Jason now plays guitar with...Paul McCartney - yes, he's quite talented...;)

14. Aside from Jason Falkner's solo stuff, he did mondo brilliant work with Jellyfish..one of my fave bands of the last 15-20 years...

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Nicholas Godin plays bass. And I play a Godin bass! :cool:

Anyway, I have Moon Safari and 10.000Hz Legend. Good stuff. I also loved the soundtrack for The Virgin Suicides.

16. I just saw some of the new Glastonbury Athems DVD - and Jason Falkner also plays bass with McCartney - not just guitar - and he was laying it down sweet and low on 'Hey Jude' - he was phenomenal with AIR too - at Glasto the year before - trhe guy's a multi-instrumnetal singer song-writer genius - 'Author Unknown' is a truly excellent album - he plays everything on it - aside from the strings...;)

17. Aw man! Jason Falkner is with McCartney?
    That kicks ass.

I'm a big Jason and Jellyfish fan. Hell I even bought the Grays CD!

Have you ever heard his version of "Photograph"?

Back on topic: I didn't know he toured with Air

18. I just got a "review" copy of that record...I'll be popping that in soon!

19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    'Moon Safari' is a great album to shag to too :)

20. He he...oh there's a good long thread there my friend - perhaps you should start it? might not be appropriate though - but I agree.