Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on Common's 'Be'

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 2, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, let's put it this way... Common came to my college, I worked with the sound guys, never heard of the guy before the show, got to hang out with his DJ and keyboardist, cool guys, and I got a burned copy of the album after the show from a friend. Long story short, I'm listening to it and one of the basslines really catches my ear, can't get it out of my head.

I know Pino played bass for Common in the past, who played bass on Be?

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow... never heard of this.. *subscribed*.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played on one of Commons CD called One Day It'll All Make Sense.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Very Cool!

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I didn't know that either! Awesome. :)

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Thanks guys.

I'm only on one track(called my city)and I was a guest along with spoken word artist Malik Yousef.
    I played my fretless 6 string Pedulla.on the begining of the track I played a Melody and the rest of the tune I did a two handed Bass/Melody Groove.

7. isn't common a rapper? he's one of the only rappers i have decent respect for, he actually has talent and i enjoy listening to the song i've heard by him. he had this video on mtv..umm..cant remember the name...testify! yeah thats it! good song, never paid attention to the bass line though. he kinda looks like incubus' new bassist.

8. EPrendergast

EPrendergast

Sep 23, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Be is a great album - I love 'The Corner'. It sounds more rooted in soul than all this bling rubbish.