Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on Dave Matthews video?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ionic Eye, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    What bass is Stefan Lessard holding in the new "Where Are You Going?" video? I first thought a Modulus Quantum, but then it seemed like it could be a Peavey Cirrus; does anyone know?

2. No idea, but Stefan is quite reliant on his Modulus's

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Modulus Flea 5 (?)

4. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Haven't seen the video yet, but he uses a fretless Modulus Quantum 5 for the song live, so that's probably it. It's *very* unlikely that it's a Peavey, as Stefan has played Mods almost exclusively for the last 2-3 years.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    he's playing a black pedulla rapture in the video where the guy is hugging everybody. is that the song?

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thats the everyday video... I thought he was playing a mod. bass there also....

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, it's a modulus q5.

the only things i've ever seen him play are modulii, warwicks, URB, and a fender jazz bass (in the crush video)

8. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Guessin it's a Modulus unless he's found a different company to pay him and/or give him free basses in which case that company now produces his chosen bass and that's what he's using because 'they're' the best. ;)

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I was kind of shocked when I discovered Stefan switched from Warwick to Modulus. All I'd ever seen him play from the early days were his trusty Warwicks, then BAM! Seemed like he switched overnight. Then came the gosh-awful Everyday album. I'm glad they're finally releasing the tunes that were *supposed* to be that album, though I'm sure they'll be quite different from the original versions that were out on Napster a while back.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I saw dave almost 2 years ago in concert and he played several songs from lillywhite.. great stuff.. some of his best IMO.

I noticed the switch from warwick to the modulus basses myself.. I think i'll stick with what floats my boat rather than what someone will pay me.. I dig mod. basses, but if i like something else better. i'd keep with it...

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Doesnt Stefan also own a bass made from wood that's been sitting on the bottom of some lake for 500 yrs?

its good to be in Top 40... ;):D

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i think its kinda strange that you think that he only plays basses that co. give him! Considering that he has to be the most picky bass player as far as sound goes! He still plays his warwicks and the old mod q-5 but he also has the fleas basses! And as far as rig goes he has a myer sound kit! Look that stuff up its really expensive! But it sounds so good!

13. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Its a Flame Red Birch (700 years old) Jarowsky Timeless Timber Bass 5.

14. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, and it was Lake Superior.

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All I've seen Lessard play recently in videos is his Modulus FB5 Blk w/ white pg. He used a Q5 Green in a live thing I saw him in once.

BTW, the Warwick to Modulus trend is spreading. It got me.