Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on eBay - MIA or MIM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hstiles, Sep 9, 2003.

1. That's an American Deluxe.The Mexican made ones have the truss rod adjustment at the head and can be spotted pretty easy because the slot is a darker wood than the Maple headstock.That's a nice looking bass.

2. True, but it doesn't have the noiseless pickups and the tuners look different to the ones on my Jazz Deluxe - that's why I was questioning it.

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It's american. It has 22 frets for one. Mexi's don't have 22. Also, that model your looking at is an older model. Late 90's probably. Noiseless pickups are fairly recent but didn't always come standard with the deluxe's. Also, the tuners have changed since this bass was made. They used to put them all on one side of the headstock. Now, it's a 4+1 setup. I don't think the active/passive claim is legit because those preamps weren't switchable. The bridge is also a giveaway. Only american deluxes (and maybe some other american models) come with the string through the bridge or body style bridge. Hope this helps!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks AMerican to me. You can tell from frets, and, to me, american lower horns look narrower.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    unless they changed tuners, those are MIM tuners. They aren't the cloverleaf design from the MIA basses. Plus the fretboard looks like Pao Ferro (MIM). That might actually be rosewood since the pic isn't really clear. I have never seen a MIA with those tuners and string retainer.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Definitely MIA with 22 frets and truss rod adjustment at the body.

The cloverleaf tuner style I think was just a 4-string thing. Smaller tuners on the 5 since they are closer together. I think MIM 4-strings have cloverleafs.

Actually most MIAs are 20 fret, but there was a "deluxe" model (I think) that had 22 frets and a slightly different shape at the horns to accommodate the extra frets.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I don't think you'd be out of place emailing him and asking for more info, clearer pictures and some more evidence that it is American in origin. You're a prospective buyer....he's a motivated seller!

Nice looking bass!

8. Really???

This is an old American Deluxe Jazz V. Cloverleaf tuners are standard on 5-string MIA's only since a couple years and are now a 4 + 1 config, as Chace90 said. 5-string MIM's still have those tuners though.

American Deluxe models have 22 frets. The Standard (MIM) and American Standard have 20 frets.

The Deluxe models are MIJ, I think.

You can see it all on www.fender.com.

9. I'm querying all of this because I have a MIA Deluxe V that I got in the States earlier this year and it's an older model that had been in the shop for a while. Mine has the noiseless pickup and the cloverleaf tuners, hence my asking the question and, as you can all see, it has prompted some discussion.

I'll mail him again tonight and say apologies for the grilling, but the pickups and tuning pegs look differet.

10. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Just ask him for the serial number and see if it fits HERE

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    no and one post about that was enough