bass on flights....?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrneek, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mrneek

Apr 17, 2005
    I recently bought a MIA p-bass.I love it,except that when I have to fly to gigs,I always have to get the Allen wrench out,and tweak it back to playability mode.
    Before the flight,I usually detune about a half-step,and off it goes.
    One reason I bought the p-bass was because of it's sturdy design,so I'm a little dissapointed that the neck is a bit finicky.
    Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic..?------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I've never flown with an instrument, but I've always been told to losen your strings completely so there's no tension whatsoever on the neck.
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    What kind of case are you using for the flights? I don't know if that would matter overly much for the interior. I have flown with my StingRay5 and DeArmond Pilot Plus 5-in their SKB cases, left the basses in standard pitch, wrapped them in bubble wrap and then used a lot of duct tape on the latches-they came out in the same tuning/relief as when i put them in. It might just be where i was flying and other variables though.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see it hink everyone hears different advice.

me, i was told by both guitar players and a bass player of a national touring act that you are not supposed to down tune anything. and they have been using the same guitars/bassess for the last 3 years.
  5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    how far away are you flying? could it be the differerent climate you are flying to?
  6. mrneek

Apr 17, 2005
    I flew a regular flight from Canada to Europe.Before I left I had the bass set up perfectly.Maybe next time I'll leave it in standard pitch.I know that the freight area is pressurized,but maybe not heated..?
    A few years back you were allowed to bring your bass(in a gig bag) up to the passenger deck,and the stewards would find a place to stash it.No more.
    I'm using a regular Fender molded case,its held up ok.My last molded case was completely thrashed by baggage handlers(believe me..I've witnessed it firsthand).I should stop procrastinating and buy a proper flight case.Unfortunately they dont come cheap
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you are bringing multiple bassess, just have all the cases ductaped together. so you know someone isnt opening them or whatever. make sure you lock them. and put fragile on them.

some airlines will let you bring a gig bag and put it in the overhead bin. make sure you get in their first, find one thats not being used, stuff it with a book back and a jacket and make sure no one else uses it, that may work as well, or it its in the gig bag, just put it between your legs.
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    WoW, the flights that i was going on where all domestic within the midwest. Example: I flew from Indy to a connection in Memphis to Ft. Lauderdale-bass was fine [pilot plus 5]. return trip was Ft. Lauderdale to Detroit to Indy [same bass-same trip] and the only catch was it was very cold-it was snowing/really cold in Detroit. I've mainly flown w/connections from Indy to Florida w/my basses.

The duct tape....don't be shocked if they take it off so that they can open it. When my cases where opened [by screeners], they used some of their tape over my latches after opening it. I have yet to have a bad experience with flying w/my basses ::knocks on wood::. However, if i start to do this more frequently-i will invest in a flight case.

I really don't know what to tell you with regards to the neck being finicky. It seems as if it's blind luck. Maybe try and seal the bass from the outside air as much as possible?

That's all
  9. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    No airline that I know of would allow you to fly with the instrument between your legs. Pretty sure that would be against FAA regs. If you have specific info as to when it would be allowed, I would like to know.

More and more people are carrying more stuff with them onboard these days. Don't count on having a bin all to yourself either.

I've flown with mine quite a few times and always carry it onboard unless I have multiple basses. In that case, I put them in a heavy duty gigbag and put the gigbag inside a SKB golf case. If you intend on carrying your bass onboard, it is best to plan ahead and see how full the flight will be. Overcrowded flights will increase the chance that you have to check your bass at the gate. Best to pick a flight at off times if that works for you. Check to see what kind of plane it is. Not all planes on all airlines have a coat closet these days. I've learned the hard way that Alaska Airlines is phasing them out on some planes.

Believe it or not, your attitude is perhaps the biggest determining factor in bringing your bass onboard and having it stowed. Be nice to everyone remotely associated with the airline. The flight crew make the final determination what stays and what goes. Relax, enjoy your flight and act as if you've flown with your bass thousands of times over the years.

There have been several threads regarding flying with your instrument. You might want to do some searches for more info.