Bass on opening credits of Summer Of Soul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Anybody seen the documentary? In the opening, there's a sequence with Stevie Wonder playing drums. Behind him is a bassist holding something--I'm assuming a Fender product. Anybody know what it is? The color is awesome. Here are a couple screen grabs:
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 5.37.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 5.39.11 PM.png

2. shojii

shojii

Sep 7, 2011
    60’s j bass w/ matching headstock....

Clark Dark, jdwinva, Gabbs and 3 others like this.
  3. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    66 fender jazz in charcoal frost, excellent taste.

Clark Dark, red_rhino, JimB52 and 6 others like this.
  4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It was the color that stopped me. This is from 1969, and the charcoal frost looks a few decades more modern.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There was a run of either late 60’s or early 70’s JB’s that had blacked out headstocks. A fellow at a long-ago GTG had one. Gold (later era) Fender logo. The guy from Herb Alpert’s band used a Precision version on many tv spots.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I noticed that bass too . Curious to know who the bass player was too.

LeFunk Machine and jerry like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tagging on to see if anybody knew who the bassist was. That was one of the best and most uplifting documentaries I’ve ever seen. Awesome stuff. Everybody killed, it must have been the curly-cords.;)

Mark 63, Bunk McNulty, GregC and 2 others like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to see this now!

Copperhead, 31HZ and lowdownthump like this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    And without this documentary we would never have known about it. 50 years in somebody's basement.

Bunk McNulty and GregC like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Y’all know Fender had the technology to be paint headstocks in the 60s.

Would love to stumble across that bass today.

11. Coiled cords. I had some of those, and they were great: They made great jump-ropes when not playing.

A Fender with a matching headstock. What WON'T they think of next ? ? ?

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009
    Custom color late 60s jazz bass with matching headstock. That bass is more than likely one of only a few if not one of a kind. Curious who owns it now and if it still looks like that. Absurdly rare and with historically significant provenance to boot. Whoever bought that originally paid an up charge for custom color and matching headstock.

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    He usually played a sunburst Fender Jazz and he didn’t play with his bass up so high.
    Hmmm maybe he changed his style like Stevie Wonder did after he saw Larry Graham with Sly and The Family Stone perform later that day.
    Everyone else was still in the Motown polished look but Sly and his crew were funky as all get out with big hair , big shades, and cool threads!!
    I can see the impact Sly had on the music scene.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  14. Michael Henderson is a good guess.

design and lowdownthump like this.
  15. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That’s a Rickenbacker.

16. Yeah, good point about the height. Maybe it’s Tony Newton? Only I cant find any pics of tony playing standing up! Here’s a Talkbass quote from Scott Edwards:
    Stevie Wonder bass players

lowdownthump, ahc and GregC like this.
  17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool find! I wasn't aware of Scott Edwards till now, I had no idea who played on those particular Stevie songs. Whew, what a career! Hits Played On

design likes this.
  18. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    From the Scott Edwards timeline it would be either Michael Henderson or Tony Newton.

LeFunk Machine and design like this.
  19. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

May 9, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    The bassist was Andrew White, a saxophonist more known for his transcriptions of John Coltrane solos. He passed away last year

crobasster, design, slagheap and 10 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021