Bass on opening credits of Summer Of Soul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jul 18, 2021.

1. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for that! Was he the bassist behind David Ruffin too?
    Ruffin sounded flat out great!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Andrew White also played with Weather Report and the Fifth Dimension.

Cool interview here.

What's with these saxophonists who double on bass, like Andrew and Wilton Felder?

3. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Holy smokes! I knew Scott played on some Hall & Oates and Stevie hits, but I had no idea how many others he had under his belt! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

design, GregC and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Good call. I was wondering if a young Michael Henderson before but I think you're right. Also messaged friend Ronnie Foster (played in Stevie's band and on record) to get his opinion.

The bass is easy. Early '66 Jazz, though hard to be sure on the color as it could be black or, as others have speculated, Charcoal Frost. Easiest way to be sure is if there's a clear enough shot of the headstock (black would have clipped logo - just "Fender" - while Charcoal Frost would have the full decal + the "offset contour body" decal). I tend to lean towards black as the Charcoal Frost ones we see today have tended to darken over time as the clearcoat yellowed - but it could be either.

Fabulous film! I ID'd a lot of the basses on the thread Summer Of Soul

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Good shot of original Charcoal Frost and can see how it starts to darken and often with a greenish tint:

1965_Fender_Jazz_Bass_Charcoal_Frost_120344_07.jpg

They can get darker.

design, GregC and getbent like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Henderson does not look like that guy at all.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This gives you an idea of Andrew White’s bass chops.:bassist:

steubig likes this.
  8. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz

Mar 26, 2009
    You're right! At first I thought it could be Henderson but Miles snatched him away from Wonder maybe around this time, not too sure.
    This is the music I grew up to. I'm always going back to it. Glady's Knight?, she is everything.

Pauly 4001 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I'll be snatching up a copy of this documentary video on DVD the nanosecond it comes out. The footage of Stevie Wonder playing drums and live Sly and the Family Stone on the promotional trailer is worth the price of admission alone.

GregC, Bunk McNulty and lowdownthump like this.
  10. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz

Mar 26, 2009
    That's the GREAT Scott Edwards..He posted here a few times.

slagheap and GregC like this.
  11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    You can get a free month from Hulu, watch it, then cancel your subscription. Which I just did. Totally worth it, including The Fifth Dimension. They surprised the hell out of me. Great singing. There is also an amazing moment with Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples. And yeah, Sly. Some great, funny comments from people who attended the festival along the lines of "The drummer is white? What? How can that be!":D

GregC, lowdownthump and dalkowski like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    So much for my Andrew White post, but Scott Edwards was playing bass for Stevie Wonder during the early Seventies.

13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hulu is also running the Rick Rubin/Paul McCartney interviews, it’s one of the better streaming channels.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It's Raj before TV
    b6b92a4e4731fae524ebfc0c76c38655.jpg

lowdownthump and Mark 63 like this.
  15. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I also assumed it was Michael Henderson, and was told that it was Andrew White (the gentleman in the movie looks older than 17-18, which is how old MH was at the time). That being said, check out how hard Michael gets into it on the Stevie Live album from 1970:

Furthermore, the entire Sly & the Family Stone set used to be on YouTube and it was B.A.N.A.N.A.S. Hopefully they'll release that as a stand-alone feature at some point. This Nina Simone tune is pretty funky:

16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    BTW, if anyone is interested in another documentary around right now, with similar musical (although much too brief, such as EW&F's first gig) cultural revelations (performers in their hey-days)(lots of talking, but if you like History or Baldwin) is Mr Soul on Independent Lens, PBS. Mr. SOUL! | Films | America's First Black Variety Show | PBS
    "Mr. SOUL! features not only archival performances from music legends such as Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind & Fire, Diahann Carroll, B.B. King, and Patti LaBelle, but also spoken word performances from The Last Poets and Sonia Sanchez, dance performances by Carmen de Lavallade, and interviews with James Baldwin, Nikki Giovanni, Muhammad Ali and Maya Angelou, among many others."

design, Dr. Cheese, GregC and 4 others like this.
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    What's your viewing source for the documentary?

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I'm aghast that you (or anyone else here) haven't yet!

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I let go of my Hulu subscription a while ago.:smug:

20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    HULU

mrcbass and lowdownthump like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021