Bass on opening credits of Summer Of Soul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz

Mar 26, 2009
    Honestly Dr. Cheese, I wasn't aware of Andrew White:facepalm:. Gonna check him out. Thanks for the heads up.

2. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm going with Andrew White.

MysteryBassist.png
    andrew-white-brentwood-md-photos36.jpg

design, iammr2, mikeswals and 7 others like this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
  4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I’m in the NYC area and it’s at some movie theaters here.

Dynacord likes this.
  5. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Most '66 Jazz have bar fret-markers. I remember when they introduced those in 1966. I have since seen a neck that didn't have the deep-U shape and didn't have the bar fret-markers on it that the neck was stamped July of 1966, so it's certainly not all of them. I remember as a 16-yr. old kid being handed that new '66 to try out and I loved the look and hated the look. I was very glad I had purchased a '65 Jazz from a friend earlier that year.

In any case, looks like very nice Jazz!

6. Summer of Soul is also on Disney+ right now.

edit: at least in Canada it is.

design likes this.
  7. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Chambers Brothers, too!

Pretty much half and half in '66. Dots and binding for the first half and then switched to block markers in July or August (neck stamps) IIRC, as you mention. You're right that the early block necks tended to have a thicker neck feel. The early '66s still feel quite similar to the '65 profile (I have an early '66 and have had 3 '65s). I much prefer the earlier '66s to the later ones. The early '66s are easy to spot with dots, binding and the 'lollipop' tuning machines - only made the first half of '66.

I have seen a '66 with Jan neck stamp without binding (and JAN 66 with binding as well). It's possible to find '66s in 3 versions...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    "from Carthage, Mississippi" no less. Never knew that. And for all the jokes about "four brothers in suits" they weren't having any of that!:D

Dynacord likes this.
  9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Still use coil cords!

Love them

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Coil cords always failed way too soon for me. They worked fine in High School and some College, but when I started touring with a nightclub group 5-nights a week, 50-weeks a year for three years, they just didn't hold up. I think I got my first 20-ft straight cord about the 3rd month we toured. I'd gone through 3 coil cords at that point. So, IMO, fine for casual use, not suitable for heavy use.

I've been using wireless for a number of years now although I do keep a 20-ft. straight cord in my gig bag as a back-up and I've had to use it a couple of times.

Dynacord likes this.
  11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I bought a coiled Bullet Cable 30 footer 5 years ago and I love it! I don't whether they're still in business but you can find them on Amazon. It is quite badass and is quality heavy duty, never tangles. I can't imagine ever damaging it.

12. The only pic of Michael Henderson I had available was the one with the big glasses and burst jazz bass. I looked at that and at the pic of the bassist in the OP and thought with the album credits/ bandmember timeline being what it was that maybe it was him. I was wrong. It is Andrew White III. Sorry.

No, I'm not sorry! Michael Henderson is still a good guess. Better than thinking it's Sting or Sid Vicious. :roflmao:

design, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021