1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass on stage v. Bass FoH

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Blue, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    South East Penna
    I've recently done a few sound systems - and am pretty novice. Here's the issue I've heard:

Bass way to boomy on stage ... st lest from the side where the monitors are mixed - but sounds OK - if anything a bit thin - out front.

Is there a simple solution? I'm thinking asking the playa to jack up the front of the cab' a bit to decouple, but don't want to suggest that if it's gonna cause a riot.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    A little more information please. What is the set-up? Board, mains, subs, bass rig. Is the bass going through the PA? DI? Mic? etc...

3. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    If you also have FoH support, the best thing to do (IMO, of course) is to have a PRE-eq DI. EQ your amp on stage to whatever you need it to be in order to not be boomy (also, don't turn it up too loud). Then also get plenty of support by asking for more bass in your monitor so you can hear yourself through there (perhaps even have more bass through the monitor than coming out of your cab).

I happen to have one of those GK MB210 cabs that weighs very little, so I always bring at least that (and if needed, it's trusty brother, the 210MBE).

4. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    South East Penna
    This is a case where I AM the FoH.

Usually I get "stuck" with playing and doing sound - but to get better at the second part, I've taken a couple gigs where I'm providing sound for some friends.

These are not-loud bands (one is a three piece acoustic jam, the other is a 7 piece with horns) in smallish bars (seats 200?) - no subs, just 12" mains - RCF 200A's (think Mackie) and (currently) I'm using QSC K8's as monitors. Bass is DI'd, but I've not had to use it 'cause it's mostly all there already - I could add a bit but have not done so yet. Drums are not miked.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're only hearing the bass from the PA at the side of the stage because the highs and mids aren't pointed toward you and low frequencies are omnidirectional. Mix to sound good out front, not from the side of the stage. The people are in front. They're the ones who need good sound, not you so much.

6. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Simple and great info, as always!