Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on Thursday..

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by societysfinest, Apr 23, 2003.

1. The bassist on Thursdays album Full Collapse has an awesome tone. I believe he plays with a warwick, i know he does live, but i think he also records with it. I think his recorded and live tones are very good and fit perfectly.Does anyone agree or no?

2. The bassist on Thursdays album Full Collapse has an awesome tone. I believe he plays with a warwick, i know he does live, but i think he also records with it. I think his recorded and live tones are very good and fit perfectly.Does anyone agree or no?

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Yes thursdays bassist is amazing, umm as for recording He uses both the warwick and a Fender, of which im not sure, but i belive its a J-bass, and for live tone, check out Five Stories Falling has live tracks for 4 of the songs on Full Collapse and a new song that will be on the new EP called Jet Black New Year, his live tone and recorded tone are far from eachother though, ive seen Thursday 5 times, and its always been an overdriven tone/ mild barky distorted tone, and 5 Stories Falling catches that tone greatly, have you checked anything more of their stuff like off of their first album Waiting, has a more loose sound i would say leaning more towards the punky/hardcore side of emo, and the new cd will be more chaotic then Full Collapse. But yeah the live tone and Album tones are two complete different.
    peace
    -Ben

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Yes thursdays bassist is amazing, umm as for recording He uses both the warwick and a Fender, of which im not sure, but i belive its a J-bass, and for live tone, check out Five Stories Falling has live tracks for 4 of the songs on Full Collapse and a new song that will be on the new EP called Jet Black New Year, his live tone and recorded tone are far from eachother though, ive seen Thursday 5 times, and its always been an overdriven tone/ mild barky distorted tone, and 5 Stories Falling catches that tone greatly, have you checked anything more of their stuff like off of their first album Waiting, has a more loose sound i would say leaning more towards the punky/hardcore side of emo, and the new cd will be more chaotic then Full Collapse. But yeah the live tone and Album tones are two complete different. But indeed great
    peace
    -Ben

5. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    The video's appear to have a Warwick Thumb bass, but the new EP has him posing with a P-bass. If I recall, the videos also show him using your everyday Ampeg rig.

6. How come there are two of every post in this thread?:confused: :confused:

7. I like the guys tone quite a bit as well. When I heard it, I originally thought it was a Warwick, and I thought I read somewhere that that is what he used on Full Collapse. Not sure about what he uses live, but the tone on the album was great.

jtbp

8. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I've seen him playing lots of vintage looking P basses and a Warwick a few times.

The fullstops and chord stuff I've heard live with a P bass and the sound was awesome and fairly similair to the album recordings.

9. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    he think he relied on a warwick for the full collapse days and then turned to vintage p's for the new album

10. I like the tone on Full Collapse a lot better than the one on War All The Time. He's a lot more present in the mix on Full Collapse, while the guitars were pushed way up front in the mix on War All The Time. It's especially bad on the first track, "For the Workforce, Drowning" - that song is mixed really bad for some reason.

And yeah, the Full Collapse tone does sound like a Warwick, vs his more recent tone which is very P-bass.

I can't wait for the new album....

11. On the song "Signals Over the Air" from War All the Time, is that P-Bass or Warwick?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, members of thursday live down the block from me. i have seen them with warwick bassess.

on the first full length, on the cover he has a p-bass.

ive never seen him use one, but hey.

13. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    The 3 times I have seen them live he has always used a very beaten up looking P-bass, but his recorded tone always seemed warwickish.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If I remember correctly, in the music video he's playing a P-bass.

15. Yeah I know that Petary, but I was wondering about what "War All the Time" was recorded with.

16. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    great bassplayer, one of my favs. uses a 76 p bass according to their website, and two 810's. IMO he is a great example of a bass player playing exactly the right thing (in just about every one of their songs), never going over the top or showing off. Great stuff.

17. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah he also uses a pick to give the Warwick a different sound. Not many Warwick users use picks with them. He also has an Ampeg SVT-2 amp and a Ampeg 8x10 cab so there is some nice warm tube tone. Now he is sporting the Jazz basses.