Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass on TV (maybe :( )

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Hey the Stones are on abc for the NFL kickoff thing now, and a great bass player is w/them currently, so if someone wants to check it out, turn it on. 8ET right now.

Not that I've seen ANY shot of him yet, just a bunch of gui**r players not even moving around! :spit: :bawl: :mad: Although it's somewhat understandable w/ them being original members and all. You'd think they could stil show DJ once...

Edit: There are other groups, too, can anyone list what basses everyone's using at this?

2. I saw Maroon 5 with a p bass. Saw the first Stones at 8 and I did not see the bass player except for the back of his headstock and it looked like a Fender but I'm not too sure.

3. mattsk42

Yeah I think DJ had a black Fender. It was black w/ black pickguard. Maroon 5 guy had a white/tort pbass.

4. mattsk42

Looks like Ozzy's band guy has a Warwick or something that looks like that shape.

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Isn't Jason Newstead playing with Ozzy, then it's likely that he was playing a Spector.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    the Stones comes to Puerto Rico next year,in january or february,i can,t remember when.

7. Doesn't Newstead play a Sadowsky?

8. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i think riggs from rob zombie plays with ozzy now

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Darryl Jones usually plays a Lakland Darryl Jones.

10. mattsk42

Yeah he plays some Fenders, too. I don't think it was a Lakland, but I could be wrong, they only showed one full shot of it.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

In the first song, he was playing a vintage fender Jazz w/tort pickguard -- you could tell from the wear on the finish.

In the second song, Darryl was playing his black USA Lakland DJ4 with a black pearl pickguard, rosewood FB.

(I have a 92" widescreen HD projection system in my home theater, and was watching for Darryl, so I caught it pretty well). :D

12. mattsk42

92! Man I'm going to have to take a trip to watch some football over there!

I actually liked the bass line in Crazy Train. I've never really listened to that song much, not my type of music, but the line he played seemed to fit and was pretty energetic.

13. BartmanPDX

I used to play in a band in college with one of my best friends, who was a total Randy Rhodes freak.

He insisted we play "Crazy Train" at every gig. I had never been a fan of Ozzy, but I absolutely LOVED playing that song -- the bass line was fun as heck.

I was astonished to find when I went to grad school at Stanford to find that the Stanford band played it as a fight song. It really gave the tuba players a heck of a workout. They looked like they were going to keel over after it was done. :D

As for the 92" screen, come on over. It was the price I extracted from my wife for getting me to move to Oregon instead of us living somewhere closer to my beloved Georgia Bulldogs. I can't go see them in person any more, but with enough bourbon and an HD system, it's pretty real. I just need to hire a few rednecks to sit behind me and bellow "DEEEEEE-FENSE!!!"

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Compensating for something?? ;)

-robert

15. BartmanPDX

Definitely. My lack of proximity to Sanford Stadium in Athens, GA. :D

You'd have to ask my wife about the other . . . :bag:

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Nope I found out from another web site that it's Rob "Blasko" Nicholson of Rob Zombie....
    http://www.mk-magazine.com/news/archives/000367.php

There is somewhere on blabermouth that talks about it as well. I thought James Lomenzo was playing with Ozzy but oh well.

17. Love the Crimson Tide.