Bass onboard pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mattbass97, May 23, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Hi, I'm pretty new to this area of electronics and was wondering...

On my squier vm jazz bass there's the standard two volumes and one tone control, I have also got bartolini pickups installed on this bass anyway is there a way of upgrading my eq options on my bass I preferably want to have a stacked eq (treble/bass) and then the ordinary two volumes. I have no idea where to look what to look for what's good and what's bad when It comes to these things and id love your help. One more thing can my solution be passive? Or will it have to be an active upgrade?

Thanks!

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    well there are a 2 options that come to mind right off the bat.
    try bestbassgear.com
    look at the John East J-retro

try audereaudio.com
    look at the J3Z preamp

Both are fine preamps and have eq options up the wazoo.

3. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    I just dropped in an Audere in my Squire VM...sound's GREAT!

Attached Files:

Winton likes this.
  4. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm just worried about active stuff because of my effects and amps and everything!

5. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    97, you can't go wrong with the East pre, tho expensive, in my opinion, it's the best! BUT, for the price, you really can't go wrong with the Audere. If you're happy with the passive tone of your Bass, this Audere will bring out the best PLUS! I have the Vol-blend-mid-stacked bass and treb model. I like active Basses for what I do...and it really shouldn't mess up your effects set-up.

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm confused haha, my pickups are passive and so is my eq and everything but if I upgrade only my eq will be active?

7. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Another satisfied Audere owner here. If you have any concerns get the one with the active bypass and passive tone. Best of both worlds

8. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    What would that enable?

9. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Yes, just the EQ.
    Also, Andy_D's suggestion is spot-on!

10. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    What would the active bypass and passive tone do then?

11. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    As Andy said, the BEST of both World's! Allows you to retain the PASSIVE tone and option of your Bass, and, in case of battery dying during your gig, allows you to play on till your break. BUT, your Bass will have that ACTIVE option, and your EQ will set your Bass free!

12. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Ahh I see thanks!

13. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It lets you switch between using the preamp and bypassing it, so you can swap between the active and passive tone.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 for Audere. Mine also has the passive mode with tone control. Just don't get the blend if you go this route, as you cannot blend in passive mode by default. It's all on, all the time. Two volumes should work though.

15. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Another +1 for Audere JZ3. Really easy to install, and sounds great! I'm really getting into the hi z mode on mine.

16. J-Retro!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021