bass only mag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by damageinc11, Feb 15, 2001.

Best Bassist

Poll closed Feb 25, 2001.
  1. Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)

5 vote(s)
  2. Cliff Burton (Metallica)

1 vote(s)
  3. Jason Newstead (Metallica)

3 vote(s)
  4. other

22 vote(s)
  1. Can any one tell me if there is a publication magizine (similar to guitar one) dedicated mainly to basses? if so can any one give me a heads up as to subscribing (like a web site, and email addy, a snail mail address etc.)

Thanx in advance

2. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    go to
    search "bass"
    you will get hundreds of results, but you can narrow that by clicking on a sub-topic (so that you dont get results about fishing per se.

unless im misreading your post, there are about 4 "bass only" hard copy pubs(bass player, modern bassist, etc...) and a buttload of online pub's that you should be able to find in the results.

you could also check out the links pages of this site, bass nw, harmony central, etc for links to some sites.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Probably BassPlayer is best for your needs, they not just publish articles about legendary players but also have new music and somewhat even mainstream music&bassplayers covered. I think those one or half page articles about young new bassists are great.

BTW: I just ordered BassPlayer. It just takes forever and costs aroud twice the price what it would be in states to get one number here in Europe.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides Bass Frontiers and BP, there is Bassics magazine, They're out of California and subscription, when a deal isn't going on, is $30 for 6 issues a year. Each issue comes with a CD of the featured artists' music.

WARNING: The ads cause severe GAS
  5. I ran across this online only bass magazine called Global Bass about 2 weeks ago. Really haven't checked it out too much, but it looks like it might be worth looking into.
  6. Bassplayer is good, but it comes speratically and ALWAYS torn
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  10. There is a dedicated Bass mag published in Japan also, OK if you speak the lingo!!!!!
    Used to be an English one called Bassist, but low sales and rising costs forced them to re-unite with Guitarist. Still have good articles, but ya have to put up with all that g****r stuff as well.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought this ws the case, but I think it was Steve Lawson (who wrote for this mag extensively) who pointed out that the readership and sales stayed the same more or less throughout its history - the problem was that towards the end, they couldn't get enough advertising to break even. I browse Guitarist occasionally, but it seems to have less and less about basses and more about "rock" guitar! As I said, "Double Bassist" magazine now has more of interest to me, than Guitarist.
  12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK

there was no drop in sales of Bassist, but in global publishing, all the money is made on advertising, and we just weren't getting enough of it - the UK bass market is very into vintage gear, which means that all those gadgets that I love, and that get advertised in US magazines, don't pay for the ad space, so the ad revenue goes down.

I still think that Bassist could have been turned round (it was so hard to get hold of in the states - if they'd pushed the US subs with a low price special offer, they could have easily got another 1500-2000 sales, which would have given it a higher profile and encouraged shops to stock it, thus upping the circulation and therefor the potential for ad revenue. But the publishers decided that it wasn't worth investing in - after all, big publishing companies in general aren't even vaguely interested in serving the needs of the bass community - stock value is the first and last consideration... sad but true...

For those of you who never found the mag, almost every article I ever wrote for Bassist is archived on my website in the 'bassdotcom' section - loadsa interviews and reviews there. Go check them out!

other good mags - the three US mags are well worth getting, Global bass is fantastic, is great too... and

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Yeah I was very sad about the demise of Bassist Magazine. I had just discovered it and then the plug was pulled. I've been working at building a collection of all the back issues of Bassist and have quite a few of them so far. If anyone in the UK has some back issues of Bassist they'd care to sell please email me at

I also have over 100 extra back issues of Bass Player Magazine that I'd trade you for Bassist mags.