Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass or amp problem???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Mar 11, 2006.

1. :confused: :hyper: :hyper: :confused: two days ago my uncle got his new ric and HATES the sound...

he says the pickups arent any good and he wants them to be brighter sounding. he plays out of an ampeg ba115 100watt combo and he has various other great basses (two custom made) which he never uses because of the same problem (the bass he uses most of the time is an Ibanez gsr 200)....i told him this a problem with his amp not having enough head room to pick up everything his basses have to offer? am i wrong in saying that or is that not a feasable gear problem? is it the bass or the amp? please post as soon as possible with any help thanks

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Rics are certainly known for a bright sound. Is the B15 a vinatge amp, the one where the head flips back into the cabinet for transport? Very warm sounding and yes, very little power.

I would say a trip to the local music store with his new Ric and some amp demo's may be all that is needed here. Doubt very much if all those basses have no brightness. I would assume at least one of them has round wounds? Check out some modern hi fi amplifiacation, perhaps Eden, SWR, or many other great amps. Many modern cabinet have tweeters. Hey, just what the doctor ordered!

3. +10! ROADTRIP!:bassist:
    Especially if he's got tone issues with all three basses now. Sounds like it's the amp.

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    +1 on the SWR

and +1 on TWEETERS!!!!

how about an SWR and AVatar Cab setup. excellent sound, without the exorbitant price tag. he could get a nice 400 watt workingpro head and an avatar 1 12 or 2 10 all for around 800. give or take.

i recommened basscentral for the head, unless he's looking used (which i highly recommened)