Bass or Car

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim_Tool, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    I know what most of you are probably going to give me as an answer, but I'll ask anyway. I'm 16, and I have a fairly decent car. A few months ago, I bought 2 12s, and a crossover from a guy I work with, with hopes that I could someday put a system in it. Well, tax returns time is rollin around and I should be getting back enough money to put in my sound system, and a few other much-wanted accessories. But, for the longest time I've wanted a Ernie Ball Stingray and the salesman at the local musicstore is giving me a really good deal on it ($980 US). I have to put down $200 and the rest I can pay off monthly. The thing is, I have a good bass, its an Ibanez 5-string. I took the b string off cause its really annoying cause i never use it, but thats besides the point. So basically what I'm asking is should i pimp out the ride, or buy a new bass. In my friend Jared's words "Can you f*^k a chick in a bass?!"
    Thanks in advance for your advice guys.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you really wanted a Musicman and really thought the deal was right, there wouldn't be any question.
  3. you think you'll have better luck at, er, ficking chucks, if you have a huge soundsystem in your car? i think your chances would be better if you were grooving in a band playing a cool bass.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Get the bass. Cars are good for chicks and all, but with the bass you can say "Hey baby, I have a longer scale length than our guitarist..."
  5. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA

Any pudnocker can have a pimped-out car, but everybody knows that musicians get the most trim! :D Get the bass, get in a band, play some gigs and you'll have to start wearing chick repellant to keep them from throwing themselves at you. Honest! ;)
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, the way I figure, you can play your bass but you can't drive it to traffic court but you can attract women more with the bass than the car but you can't boink in the back seat of your bass case, sooooooo.....go for gear!
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, my cousin thought when he got his sister's car for two weeks that he'd be able to pull in it. After watching him in action, I'd say go for the bass.
  8. Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    I think my decision is like, in waves or somethig. Yesterday, when i posted the question, i was leaning towards the car. tonight, im leaning towards the bass. I guess when i get the money I'll just flip a coin.

thanks guys
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just a question, Tim, you say you removed the B-string from your Ibanez because it bothered you. My question is, because the neck, bridge and head were made to support five strings, has removing one of those strings caused any problems with the neck of your Ibanez? Have you noticed any change in the "curve" of the neck as a result of having less string tension? Just curious, that's all.

jason oldsted
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Isn't your Ibanez worth something?

Buy the Stringray and sell the Ibanez. You can
    use the money to 1/2 pimp your car or you can
    buy some massively baggy pants or whatever to
    help in your quest. Ah, what an age....
  11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The one thing I know for sure is that %99.99
    of the people (including most of your target
    females) out there couldn't care less about
    what we spend 99.99% of our time worrying and
    talking about: what kind of bass, how close are
    the strings, what is the resistance of this cabinet,
    should I get the Sony or the Harmon Kardon.

In my experience, most women I know are more
    interested in your shoes and eye
    color. What these guys are saying is true though -
    if you're in a band, it gets you noticed - BIG TIME.

[Edited by CaptainWally on 02-07-2001 at 01:28 PM]
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're asking a bunch of bass players whether or not you should buy huge speakers for your car or a bass. Hmmmmm, I wonder what we'll answer? :confused: :D :)
  13. Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    I havent noticed anything changing in the neck. i havent even thought about it. Anyhoo, I'm probably gonna buy the bass. I figure the car can wait till i have all the bass stuff i need, but do you ever truly have all the stuff you need?
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides you can make some dough and and get in the groupie groove with the bass. As for the car making money -

Q: How do you get a guitar player off your porch?

A: Include a tip when you pay for the pizza.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Why in hell you need a soundsystem in your car?
    I mean, you need those woofers to prevent your possible girl
    from hearing your moaning or something? :cool:

Since you have the wheels, get the bass. You'll be happier 5 years from now.

16. dj falkroy

dj falkroy

Dec 27, 2000
    What kind of car do you have that you really need two twelves in the trunk? Do you want a good sounding system or do you want your parents to know you're on your way home five minutes before you get there because the windows are rattling. Chicks are mildly impressed by loud stereos and very impressed by the multi-purpose manual dexterity natural to all bass players, ya know what I'm saying. Go with the bass.
  17. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    I am pretty sure that girls hardly care about how loud your car soundsystem is.
    They will never think of a nice subwoofer but a nice bass they will appreciate. Since the bass indicates that you are an extraordinary person, not like all those stupid guys 'round whose only ability is to play "who let the dogs out" at level 10 with super mega bass booster :)

Nice guy + nice bass , what a perfect mixture :D
  18. I have been ignoring my car for the past year, and spending nearly 3000 dollars on bass stuff. I drive around in a mildly rusted station wagon that chicks dig. Maybe it is the funny noises that it makes. Any who, if I had the money I would buy the Stingray is a flash!
  19. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Get the bass, play some gigs, get noticed, and soon enough girls will be driving you around.