Bass or Guitar, your help please?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Squnk, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    Hello Everybody! I just want some options on what people think I should do. I have a little bit of experience on guitar and bass but I just want to focus on one right now. I love the sound and feel of the bass but I also like the feel and the versatility of music I can play of the guitar. So I just want some input on what you think I should do.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Waidaminnit, you ask this on a BASS forum? :D
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm going with the crowd and saying bass.

But I will actually give you a reason, instead of "guitarists are poopey".

There is a much higher demand for bass players. guitar players are all over the place, a dime a dozen. But bass players... Not so many. You will have much a better chance of getting a gig as a bass player then as a guitar player, becasue all of the guitar players will be knocking down your door to get you to be in their band. that is how it is here anyways.

And guitarists are poopey :p
  4. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I asked on a BASS forum because I thought many bassist also played guitar and just want to know what people prefer and why.
  5. By the way, bass is more versatile than guitar.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're right - even Billy Sheehan is a good "closet guitarist."

To me, one instrument just seems to be more of "your voice" and gives you a bigger rush. It's "in the heart."

Guitar is a more "user-friendly" accompaniment as an instrument, especially for vocalists. And the guitarist typically gets the spotlight and the fan adoration more often.

From a practical standpoint - guitarists are a dime a dozen whereas decent bassists turn down job offers. Being able to pay my bills is a good thing!
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I play both but I get asked to play bass and had to form a band to play guitar.
  8. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    Thanks for your help, It is really getting me to think differantly about witch one I should play. So, Thanks!
  9. It depends largely on your personality type. If you're a laid back, good natured, kind of guy, with above average I.Q. then you're probably a bass player.

If you're a guy who lives for attention and believes God was created in your image, then you're probably a guitar player. ;)
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Play guitar.

(i don't like competition :D )
  11. Squnk, Definitly the Bass then, but here where I live there arn't any laws that say you can't do both. ...
    I play bass 85% of the time...I like to write songs with a guitar, but also I write songs with the bass, For me it's easier to write a song using a guitar because I can work out both guitar parts and bass lines at the same time. I once was the guitarist in band for 3 years, but I consider myself a bass player..I own 11 basses and only two guitars.

Sting plays both very well....
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I do not play guitar at all.. Nor do I really care to.. I say play the bass.. its the instrument that grooves..

It is a good thing to know how to play different instruements. But i would much rather be able to play one very well than 3 or 4 with average skill
  13. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree with ldiezman i want to be very good at one or at least just focus on one right now.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Play bass, stay employable.

Drummers wanted!

Bassists wanted!

Vocalist wanted!

Got plenty 'o' guitar players.
  15. i think you're approaching this the wrong way. i play guitar and bass and don't have to focus on one or another, because i don't force myself to practice - i only play when i feel like it. sometimes i feel like guitar, sometimes i feel like bass.

if you have a set time in your day where you say, "ok, i HAVE to play bass now" you're gonna have days where you do it grudgingly, which i don't think is good.
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. some people do have to practice every single day... its not always fun.. but in the end it pays off..
  17. totaln00b

totaln00b Guest

Sep 24, 2002
  18. If you like both equally, why not play both instruments?

Although personally if I had to chose I'd chose Bass :p