Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass or no bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by fleabassman, Mar 9, 2003.

1. fleabassman

fleabassman

Mar 9, 2003
    Hey, I play a six string guitar and am thinking about learning to play a bass guitar. However, my only concern is that playing both a six string guitar and a bass would be hard or confusing. Would playing both be confusing or not?

fleabassman

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I can't see any reason why it would be confusing. However, if you start, and then you get confused, just stop for a while...

try it, you'll love it

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I was playing guitar before I started playing bass.

I didn't find it confusing at all.

4. i started off playing bass, lost interest (i was very young :) ) then started playing guitar, then saw the light and went back to bass. I can still play a few chords etc on guitar, but i'm a much better bassist :)

*Si*

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I played the acoustic guitar before picking up the bass. (Love the bass much more! :D) I go back to the guitar every once in awhile. The only thing that confused me when I started out, and before I honed my site-reading skills, was the switch between bass clef and treble clef, but I don't have a problem with that now.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well there's only one string differnt between geetar n bass... and the theory is the same accross the board (more or less), so go for it I say!

that said, you do realise that guitar was invented for people who just couldnt handle the awesome power of bass dont you? ;)

"Just put the guitar down son..."

7. Jazzfiend

Jazzfiend

Nov 30, 2002
    It's not confusing at all. I'm starting to try and pick up Flamenco guitar and it's no problem at all. They don't really hinder each other. If anything they help each other.

8. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    It shouldn't be technically confusing. Remember that if you have an extended range bass all of it's in 4ths not just some of it like the guitar. I've been doing both for a while and I think the most confusing thing is being appropriate. With guitar I play a lot lighter in the pocket and a lot higher up. on bass it's important to dig in.

with guitar your the soldiers, with bass your the trench :)

9. I play classical guitar and 6 string bass. I had no problems. I actually retune my high C to B now, and I'm planning on getting a 7 string bass tuned with a high B and E, to duplicate certain guitar concepts.

I see no reason, whatsoever, that the 2 instruments can't compliment and enhance the learning experience.