1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass? or ps3?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Ripper, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Well hey im new and im kinda new to this whole ?bass thing?. I feel that this is the only way that i can be creative. I really like this whole music thing. But theres a few problems. One being im so addicted to my ps3 its the only internet access i have. So iwas thinking what it i sell my ps3 to buy better gear and, or a computer? Two is that i get bullied for playing bass and the kids at my school see it as ?if you dont make music dont talk bout it, sing it, or wear it? and i dont know what to do.. I just need an outlet that i can express myself with.. Alot of help please and thanks

2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Between a PS3 and a Bass, I'd definitely go with the bass. But then again, I'm really quite biased, since I hardly play videogames anymore.

You get bullied for playing bass?? Wow, that seems really odd to me- people around here generally think it's cool

3. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    i would have figured you get bullied for playing the flute, or the bassoon, or the tuba.

the bass is a pretty cool instrument.

4. ........................^^^^^^^^^^

I'd go for a PS3, but I'm a loser.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't sell the PS3. You'll take a major hit on it and won't be able to get much gear for that money. Instead, I'd recommend trying to find a job to buy some gear or a computer.

As far as kids bullying you, how do they do it and what do they say?

6. My school is full of stuck up guitar players who form bands and think they got it made. And the bassists don't like anyone new coming into the scene and I really enjoy it.
    As for the ps3 issue I want to do what I love not sit around all day...But I don't know if its worth it or not

7. Keep the PS3, as said, you'd loose out there and you'd not have much for a bass.

+1 on getting a part time job to pay for things. This can be a pretty expensive addiction!

Play bass and enjoy it, school will be over before you know it. If people are going to be stuck up about you playing bass, sod 'em. I doubt any of the high school kids have done anything more than a couple talent shows or what not (heck, you usually can't play in the fun places til you are the drinking age ! ). Not got any friends interested in making some tunes?

All around the same time I started playing bass, a couple of my friends started playing guitar. After being in and out of a few bands, a good friend of mine at uni took up drums and it's been the most fun in a band I've ever had !

8. Psh ya im a total noob sorda but I wish i could make friends who play the bass to then we'd share the same struggles

9. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    i had a ps3, then it got stolen.

then i went outside my stuff, and i started doing things with real people.

life is so much better now.

10. Everyone is new at some point.

Best way to get started is a couple of lessons and jamming with some friends (heck, I was too cheap to even do the first part :bag: ).

Save some cash and have a look around some pawn shops. My first bass was an early 90s Ibanez, cost £50 IIRC. The bass was well worth the money. But it was most expensive £50 I ever spent. Bass is a never-ending drain on money :crying:

11. I have a 20 fret Washburn xb bass and a guitar amp 25W and ya thats it for now but im getting 2 new basses soon and I don't reallly know were to start at like i know most of the basics

12. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yah, strings, patch cords, and all kinds of maintainence is the norm

13. Why two new ones? :p

14. Better to have 2 then 1 or 3 I dont know whats a good amp thats inexpensive fo me

15. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    They sound like they have a medical condition called "Sand in the ******". It will eventually, if it hasn't already, become a roadblock to their musicianship. My advice is to research some open mics in your area and try to get out to them. You don't have to play if you aren't comfortable with it yet, but you'll likely meet a lot of cool musicians who can help you out and will be more than accepting of your instrumental choices.

16. Medically it's could be an acute or terminal cranial-rectal interaction

:bag:

17. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Kaiserslautern, DE
    Where Im from, you might not want to bully the tuba players (or hardly anyone in the band). :cool:

I'd dump the PS3. Partly because you cant get anything out of it. On the other hand, you can get a bass, get good enough to gig and buy yourself another PS3 (or whatever new game system is out).

Also, the sooner you care less about ppl that dont mean good for you, the better.

18. ya imma lose the ps3 get bass lessons and then i'd have no internet access

19. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Don't sell the pstray. You'll get 300 bucks TOPs for it, leaving with very little to upgrade your gear.

And since when was playing bass part of a scene, or A scene? No offense, but thinking that way only makes me want to say sell your gear and get some pstray gear.:p

20. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Make friends with a drummer instead.

Also...Screw everyone else.

Also...Your not going to make any real money off selling the PS3...your loosing half your investment in the transaction.

Also...Bass will get you laid in your early 20's, PS3 will never get you laid ever!

and umm...Lessons.