Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass oriented songs- Only for Bassists?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SpankBass, Nov 28, 2002.

1. I'm a bassist, but I know when to appreciate a great guitar solo or a good drummer, ect. Enough to buy CDs and download songs just for those elements. My question is, do you think that guitarists, drummers, ect. would go out and buy Victor Wootens "Show of Hands"? Or are bass solos and the such really just a novelty for bassists to enjoy?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm. I reckon guitarists & drummers etc. probably appreciate good bass playing less than bassists appreciate good guitar solos etc.

However some players (namely Jaco) I think are appreciated by musicians, whatever instrument they play.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always say this, but I think the whole "Bassist don't get recognition/other musicans don't appreciate bassist" thing is not true. I find that most real musicians appreciate good musicianship no matter what instrument it is. I also find most serious musicians (espcially guitar players) are pretty learned on who Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastoruis and Stu Hamm are. (A guitar player once asked me who my favorite bassist was, in which I replied Donald "Duck" Dunn. He was very impressed that even I knew who Duck was. :D )

As far as other musicians buying bass solo albums. I really don't know. I know that bass solos really only interest me if they are actual songs and not a bunch of riffs. (speaking of total solos here, not solo spots within a song) To me, a bass solo that's just a bunch of unharmonic slapping with no purpose or motif isn't going to hold my interest. But an actual song composed just for bass is going to spark my interest. (That's what I like about a lot of Show of Hands, it's just not Vic wanking off, there are actual songs being played) As for me, I know I'm going to buy a Jeff Beck CD or a Joe Santriani CD as long as they are composing interesting music, regardless if I'm really a bass player and not a guitar player or not.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Two words: "Big Bottom"