Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass output jack crackling

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by addy, Jun 6, 2004.

1. addy

addy

May 18, 2004
    I noticed a very poor solder joint on my jack, so in trying to troubleshoot the crackling which occurs when I move around while plugged in, I desoldered, cleaned everything up, and resoldered with some silver solder, maintaing all original connections.
    (I have brand new patch cord, so I've ruled that out too.)

Now I plug in my bass and get no sound at all :(

If anybody ideas, I'm open.

2. Cold solder joint somewhere. Reheat all of the connections and try again.

Other possibility could be a faulty wire that is broken inside the insulation. That could cause the crackling you've heard.

3. Good advice. Sounds more like a broken wire inside the insulation on that solder joint. You might have to cut back a bit and see.
    However, it could still be a cold solder joint. How much experience do you have soldering? Do you heat and remove the old solder before tinning the work with fresh solder? Any specific reason for using silver solder? Rosin-core works just fine for electronics.

Mag...

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    The crackling could have been the instrument cable and not the jack. You know the kind, the ones that make a noise when you move them around or step on them. Or, as was previously mentioned, the wire was breaking inside the insulation and now has completely broken off. Check the cable with a multi-meter. Also, try different cables just to verify that it is indeed not a cable issue.