Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Output question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 7, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Have any of you experienced very low output from your active basses?? I have an active bass that I have to connect to the passive input on my amp because when I connect it to the active input, I literally have to turn the amp volume half way up to get the same output loudness as my passive bass where I'd only have the volume at 3 or 4! Could it be a wack pre-amp, wack pups? Anyone in the know or could give me some feedback would be appreciated.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I assume you've replaced the battery...

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the obvious thing would be to check you battery.

i think most active pre's have trim pots on the circuit board to adjust the output level of the circuitry. might wanna look up your brand of bass/pre at the manufacturers site and see if there are any diagrams showing the trim pot(s).

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It ain't the battery. If the battery goes I get no sound. Also, there are no trim pots [unless they are on the pickups themselves?] on the pre-amp circuit board. The bass just has a passive level output. I've also heard that this is not uncommon but I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this.

5. Is it strictly an active bass or is is active/passive? If it's the latter, the active system is usually configured to put out a signal equivalent to that of passive electronics.

6. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your bass. In my experience some basses are just louder than others. My main bass is a very quiet instrument and it has about the same difference in output as compared to other instruments I have. Not something to worry about in my opion as long as it works for you. I will check for that trim pot on mine though.......

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes. I replace my batteries every 3 months. Also, the circuit is designed that if no battery or battery dead, no sound. This has always been the case from day one.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Your shouldn't use the Active input with most Active basses.

Most (including MEC) active systems should use the Passive Input.

PASSIVE: This input can be used if your instrument has passive electronics (no built-in preamp). Some pickups, such as EMG, etc., employ batteries for operation and will work perfectly using this input. Technically speaking, this input should be used if your instrument has an output voltage of
    1 volt RMS or LESS.

NOTE: Generally speaking, you should try the Passive input jack first. Some built-in preamps, such as those made by Bartolini and Music Man, can be used with this input depending on their internal gain settings.

ACTIVE: The Active input jack should be used with instruments having a built-in (on-board) preamp that will produce signals OVER 1 volt RMS. Known basses that should use the Active input only are the Kubicki X-Factor and some Ovation electrics. Some really "hot" pickups installed in your instrument may find the Active input more compatible. The best judge is your own ears.

NOTE: Using the Active input with passive basses may result in a loss of high-end transients. Players who roll off their high-end starting at around 2K to 3KHz may find this input more to their liking.

There aren't many instrument preamps that generate 1 volt RMS.
    Therefore, use the Passive Input.

Just because you have an Active Instrument Preamp,
    don't automatically assume you need the Active Amp Input.