Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Output Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 4, 2006.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Howdy,

I currently play these basses:

* Mike Lull M4V, 9V 3 band bart, lindy fralin j's

* Modulus Flea 4, 3 band bart pre, bart MM pup (I think it's 9V, but don't have it handy to check)

According to my ear, the Modulus is significantly louder at the same volume. I'm assuming this has to do with the relative outputs of each bass. I can adjust my amp to get the Lull nominally louder, but even with double the gain on my amp input, the Modulus is still louder, i.e. 25% gain for Modulus, 50% for Lull.

I think this might actually make a material impact on my overall volume capabilities. Is this a common issue? Is this why Lull went to 18v preamps? Is there a preamp solution, e.g. foot pedal preamp?

Note: I checked the Lull battery and it's running at over 9V.

One note is that my Lull sounds almost identical in volume in passive mode as when active is engaged, although the tone is a bit different.

If it makes a difference, I'm using an Asdown ABM500 and the Bergie HT+EX stack.

Thanks!

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't have experience with either of those basses, but my Lakland w/ Bart 3 band pre has a small trim pot on the pre to adjust the output. If one (or both) of yours do, you can use it to balance the output.

3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I think the output of the MM type pickup in the Flea bass is very hot. I own two Flea basses one with the MM type pickups and one with the J type Bart pickups. Both basses have the Aguilar 18 volt preamp and the bass with the MM pickup is much louder.

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I think your best bets are outboard devices like the radial bassbone or the raven labs mini mixer (the white one, md3 I believe (?))

I'm going down a similar avenue right now and leabing towards the bassbone because I believe raven labs is no longer afloat, but there is one item on ebay right now last time I checked.