Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Overdrive/ Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sansamp BDDI Rackmount

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Line 6 DM4 Distortion Modeler

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (Russian)

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Best for bass overdrive/ distortion?

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    The Muff isn't really an overdrive/distorsion, it's a fuzz. I love mine, but an additional real overdrive would be welcome. I'm thinking of the Jacques Tubeblower or the Fulltone bassdrive, but as I can't try them...

I really did'nt like the ODB-3.

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    One day i tried Boss ODB-3, well, not impressed at all. Can't find any usable sound, so i vote for big muff. Mix big muff with clean signal and you will get ultimate fuzz tone. :D

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's like asking my what my favorite underwear is. I like my wholey whitie tighties becasue they are comfortable, but I like my boxers for lounging around the house. If I want to be intimate, it is another pair. :cool:

See like underwear, OD's/Fuzz/distortions have their uses, and each are a bit different. I just can't say "this is the best". However, if you are asking this question as a first time buyer, I also think that every pedal pusher should own an American EH Big Muff Pi at least once. They are cheap used, now have true bypass and have some decent tones. Even if you don't keep it, it is a good reference point to start from.

Ted

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    That's what I do. I really love the sound it makes !!

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've tried a bunch of pedals for overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. I'm not into the boss odb3, had one and just couldnt get any tone out of it. It's very flat and processed sounding imo. The Big Muff is cool for fuzz, but wasn't enough for me. I tried a few others out there to, but right now I'm pretty happy with my effects setup:

Sansamp- for overall tone enhancement, Bass & mid boost. The overdive is pretty sweet on it too, but I don't use it much.

Fulltone Bass-Drive- for overdrive...this pedal is it as far as I'm concerned. You can get warm subtle OD to raw dirty distortion w/ the boost. And no lose of tone.

Zvex Wooly Mammoth- for fuzz. One serious beast of a fuzz pedal. Pure face-melting fuzz insanity. worth the price if youwant something totally over-the-top.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Great analogy!! :p

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I tested out plenty of distortion/overdrive units, and now the only two I use on my pedal board are my Marshall Guv'nor II, and EHX Big Muff USA. Both get awesome tones, true bypass, and a bunch of other cool stuff that I don't have time to explain. Also, both are very inexpensive.

Graeme

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm one'O'them ODB-3 lovers. Honestly.

I use mine for probably about two-thirds of the songs in a four-hour band show. I play in a classic rock power trio.

My bass first goes through a Boss CS-3 compressor (another of the least-favorite pedals around here...), then to the ODB, and then to a Boss CEB-3 chorus. The compressor is never turned off, and sends a slightly attenuated signal to the ODB. The ODB's gain is turned all the way down. The treble is boosted on the compressor, and attenuated on the ODB. The chorus is set to just act on the mids and highs.

Joe

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've used the ODB-3... not impressed.. It just sounded... meh..

I love my EHX Hot-tubes... nice and creamy (sound clips on the way, hopefully)

I also just picked up an EHX Big Muff Pi (Russian), so I'll see how that add to the Hot Tubes.

11. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I used to have the distortion modeler and it had some OK tones
    but I HATED the very slow response time between when you
    step on the switch and when it actually changes the patch.

Here's my favorite:
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14