Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist519, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    I am looking for a good overdrive/distortion pedal. I was thinking about the Boss ODB-3. I heard it is pretty good and I know that flea uses it too. Also I am planning on geting an ampeg cab. would the overdrive/distortion effect the cab(meaning screw it up)? I was just wondering because someone at guitar center said it wasnt a very good idea.

Thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The ODB-3 is a pretty good overdrive, but if you do a search, you'll find that there's so many out there, the pros and cons and peoples opinions about just about everything. Yeah, Flea uses one and he's great with it, but I personally found it very hard to get a great sound. YMMV.

Anyway, as far as people at Guitar Center, they usually don't know jack. I know Jack, he's a good buddy of mine. If you run an overdrive pedal, shouldn't be a problem, now if you use a head that's too powerful and overdrive the speakers, there's your problem.

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I got a Fulltone Bass Drive off eBay tonight. Once it arrives I'll let you know what it's like. Lots of bass players swear by it. I pickup it up for about $125 and it's practically new.

4. i got an odb-3 (damn no money for a muff yet) and i thought it wasnt that great then i got new bass and swr sm 400 and it sounds really good.

its helps to know what kinda music you play though.

5. oy ! :spit:

Bad move nr.1 when buying gear : I want one because */ insert famous bassplayer here /* has one too

Buy something because it gives the sound you like, not the sound it gives for */ insert famous bassplayer here /*. You will never be able to get the same sound out of the pedal as the famous bassplayer, because he / she has WAY better gear and has a $50/hour soundguy.

So.. be smart, save your wallet :)

ON TOPIC

You might want to look into the Digitech X-bass driver ( samples @ http://www.digitech.com/xseriesflash/BassDriver.html ). It can go from pretty mild to deep fuzz, and the sound quality is real good ( no static or other added noise ).

Don't pay too much attention to the sound samples though.. i think they used a cheapo $50 P-bass clone, because the pedal sounds a lot better ( read : deeper) on my Ibanez EDC700. The samples just give an impression of the capabilities.

:)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly the only thing that link made me want is a Proco Rat :p

7. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    The ODB-3 is a great peddle, I think I bought mine around $50 used. It took me a little while to find a great sound but that goes for just about anything. I just used it in a recording studio last month and it sounded fantastic.
    --------------------------------------------------

What is YMMV?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your milage may vary (i.e. it may work better/worse for you)

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have one of those and cant find a really good setting. Whats your knobs at?

10. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    Off the top of my head it is hard to picture the peddle. I have practice Tuesday, I'll take note then and post my reply in this thread.

11. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    How about an Ibanez PD7 phathed?

12. If your interested, your can hear the Phathed used on "Am I Wry? No" by the danish band Mew. Check it out on www.mewsite.com -> music&video -> video -> Am I Wry? No (let's you hear (and see) the full lenght in the best quality)
    I know it's a Stingray and a Phathed and probally an Ampeg stack.

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The EBS MultiDrive is pretty nice - very smooth.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hey 'whatever'' did ya check the settings?

15. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    I forgot

I will tomorrow I promise!

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heh k.

17. Oh, I hear ya...

[​IMG]

Why do you flirt with me so! :D

18. Be warned, the ODB3 can't do a nice warm overdriven sound. It's a distortion, nearly a fuzz, great for industrial or metal, but really bad for most other things, especially a tubey warmth.

IME, of course.

19. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Yes, but it does it very well. Just listen to Flea on the latest RHCP live DVD from Slane Castle.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fulltone Bass-Drive gets my vote.