Bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Max Roberts, Sep 17, 2006.

1. I got an ibanez phat head bass, but i figure i might get a boutique one. Anyone know of any particulaly good ones (i would prefer it if they were pedals made for specifically for bass) I would be very grateful for some replies:)

2. I love the SABDDI's overdrive. I have that and a Big Muff. All i really need in OD and Dist. is right there.

3. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    I like my ODB-3 but I may be switching to a PBDDI.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    BJF Blueberry. All the songs on the Addiction Device myspace were recorded using it. The guitar solo of Model Me showcases it's sound the best.

5. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Sansamp programmable bass driver or Fulltone bassdrive:cool:

6. i was thinking about gettin the mxr blowtorch, pro co juggernaut or moolon bass driver. has any one had any experience with any of them?

7. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    I've had the juggernaut for 4 years ... on the shelf :)

It's a distortion pedal and it sounds SO harsh! Even at very low settings it's a bee in a can! Also, it seems to add some treble to your sound.

I'd go with Boss ODB-3. It really sounds great if you:

• Turn the balance knob all the way to the OD side
    • Cut the gain knob (eventually dial in just a bit! half a milimeter may be enough!)
    • Adjust low/treble eq to taste

This gives you a very mild grind! :)

You can also get the BOD-100 from Behringer, same sound, it's just the materials that's different. Oh, and the price aswell ofc.

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

I used to own the ODB-3 when I was in middle school (long time ago), and it sounds pretty "generic" (IMHO) in terms of bass drives. I'd go for the fulltone or the sansamp. I've used both and they sound great. However, both have been since retired since using the Aguilar AG500 Overdrive Circuit.

9. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Those settings sound amazing for loud songs with a pick. I prefer putting the blend knob just over half and setting the gain to about 1/4 of the way with fingerstyle. The ODB-3 is definately the best bang for your buck. My three reccomendations are the ODB-3, BDDI, and Fulltone Bassdrive. All just dependant on your budget. You may want to try a Voodoo Labs sparkle drive as well.

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I never liked the ODB-3. I'm using a regular guitar tube screamer and it sounds best so far.

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes, you may be right that the Fulltone Bassdriver is a little more.. "subtle" than ODB-3. But I think there's just *something* about the tone I've mentioned the settings for above. It just sounds.. "dry 'n gritty" :)

And yes, Unknowndude, that's also what i've discovered when I played with the ODB-3 in my chain. Using a pick on a Thunderbird with those settings is pure evil ;)

It's been replaced by my peavey classic 400 tube-drive channel though!

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's the distortion mega-thread. Also there are some great distortion sound samples in the "sound samples thread" linked in the FAQ. To my ears, the two best bass overdrive pedals available are the HBE Hematoma and the Pigtronix Disnortion. I posted some clips and a review of the Disnortion, and someone else posted clips/reviews of the Hematoma, but we're kind of SOL today since the database hasn't been fully restored yet.

I have the Disnortion, and I would describe it as versatile, fuzzy, and it breaks up more like a tube amp than any other ss pedal I've heard. I've only heard the clips of the Hematoma, but in those it sounded more gravely and grindy, much less fuzzy. I want one.

[Edit:] Probably the most popular bass ODs on this forum are the SansAmp line, the Fulltone Bassdrive and the EHX English Muff'n, and another good one to look at is the Xotic Bass BB preamp.

13. I think i'm going to get the fulltone bass drive or the SABDDI, thanks for all your help. Does any one have any views on the sansamp and bass drive?

14. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
  15. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have both and they are different animals but both very cool pedals. My programmable Sans Amp is such a great tool as it makes a great pre amp, has three pre sets and is so easy to program. The battery lasts forever and I consider it my "back up rig". It sounds great as a pre amp or di even with the effect bypassed.

The Fulltone is such a sweet overdrive with some nice options as it has two channels and a three way toggle switch to choose between three different types of overdrive. I have the Fulltone and an EXH Little Big Muff together in my pedal board and the combonation of the two takes care of all my overdrive needs.

They are both great units. Just depends what you need it for. The Sans Amp is a lot more versatile, the Fulltone has an overall better tone but is not as usefull in different applications. Do what i did and get both!

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    HBE Hematoma or the Ashdown Drive plus.

By far the two most versatile and best OD's I've ever played.

17. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I've been using my guitarist's EH English MUFFin, since he got his Marshall back from the shop. This thing is INCREDIBLE!!! So, I got me one. Usually guitar stomp-boxes are a crap-shoot on bass; they either sound great or they suck tone and bottom outta my sound. This box can go as far out or as sweet as you'll ever want to go. But IF for some reason, it's just not hot enough for ya, (and on a bass, that's usually not the norm) you can always swap either or both the 12AY7s out for 12AX7s and go screaming thru the night. Want it more mellow than stock? Drop in a set of 12AU7s in. (And it only takes about 2 minutes to do.)

I Know how this all sounds, but I even tried it thru the drummer's brother's crappy sounding Peavey TNT 15, and turned it into an AMPEG SVT. (Well, pretty damn close anyway.) I NAILED Chris Squire's "Roundabout" Rick tone with ease. I played with it some more, and got that valvey "cuttting" edgey tone from Rush's "Free will's" bass solo. You want some of Geezer's tone? (I didn't, but it was even there too...)

I had already checked out it's specs beforehand. This ain't no 9-50 volt "lightbulb in a box" preamps, like most of the other Tube stompboxes I've tried. This thing swings 300 volts to those 2 tubes. You are also getting the equivalent of a tube 3 band EQ in this as well. This means you gan get a fuzz, overdrive, or full blown distortion, dialed in anyway you want. Even jacked up too high, it still sounds very musical. I'm just using it to get a vintage tubey (with a little bit of growl) sound for my P bass and it now has found a permanent place in my pedal arsonal. One of the best "bang for the buck" pedals I've used yet.

Try one. This is the REAL DEAL.

18. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I bought the MXR Blowtorch and took it back the day after I put it in my chain. It sounded like I was controlling different tones of farts. No matter how I set it, it just wouldn't do anything that I could possibly see as usable. I'm sure someone could do something with it, but not me.

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I wish I could control the tone of my farts! haha

20. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Why didn't you say so earlier? PM me for technique

:rollno:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021