Bass PA Coverage Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vegiehead, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Wondering if someone might be able to give me some advise?

Our current setup is simple we have a Leem Powered mixer (700w) driving 2 15" and 2 12" speakers both the guitars and vocals and drum midi go through this and its fine.. When i plug the bass into it one of the 15" speakers gets rattling when i use an open E or a little higher...

Im guessing its a stuffed speaker but im not sure.

Anycase I cant get a lot of volume out of the bass with out the rattling and hence i get drowned out by the guitars.

Im wondering if i added some more Bass speakers would this fix the problem? eg if i added 2 2x10" cabinets or 2x15" and ran my bass though the mixer to those bass speakers would that make the bass have more presence?

Am i better of having a single bass cabinet in the middle of the stage or would it be better to have two smaller cabinets split up and mounted near the PA speakers if the above was an option?

Should i go around the PA/Mixer and run my own AMP and Speakers would be a good option to get some more volume?

Sorry for the long questions but ive only been playing for 3 months and im strugling to get my head around this issue.

James B
  2. In my experience, running bass through a PA of that size doesn't work particularly well. I've found that the clarity of the other instruments suffers when they share speakers with bass. Most folks that I see use their bass rigs to cover the room in this situation.

Bass rigs are better suited for shaping the bass tone and (hopefully) the cabinets should have more power handling for those frequencies before you run into mechanical issues.

Of course adding a 215 sub and a powerful amp to push it would make a heck of a difference and if operated properly should yeild a superior FOH sound. Out of curiosity, what are you using for stage monitoring of bass now?