Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass PA Coverage Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vegiehead, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Wondering if someone might be able to give me some advise?

Our current setup is simple we have a Leem Powered mixer (700w) driving 2 15" and 2 12" speakers both the guitars and vocals and drum midi go through this and its fine.. When i plug the bass into it one of the 15" speakers gets rattling when i use an open E or a little higher...

Im guessing its a stuffed speaker but im not sure.:crying:

Anycase I cant get a lot of volume out of the bass with out the rattling and hence i get drowned out by the guitars.

Im wondering if i added some more Bass speakers would this fix the problem? eg if i added 2 2x10" cabinets or 2x15" and ran my bass though the mixer to those bass speakers would that make the bass have more presence?

Am i better of having a single bass cabinet in the middle of the stage or would it be better to have two smaller cabinets split up and mounted near the PA speakers if the above was an option?

Should i go around the PA/Mixer and run my own AMP and Speakers would be a good option to get some more volume?

Sorry for the long questions but ive only been playing for 3 months and im strugling to get my head around this issue.:confused:

Thanks

James B

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It sounds like you're pushing your PA beyond what it can handle. You'd need more power and more speakers to handle it. Bass puts a very heavy load on your system. If everything was turned down a lot it would sound better but probably not loud enough for you. So, it's either a bigger PA or you use your own bass rig.

3. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006

Yeah i think you might be right... although we arnt getting any peak lights flashing on the mixer. Or does that measure something else and not wattage?

Thanks

James B

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It measures signal strength. Wattage doesn't matter. Your speakers can't handle what's being sent to them. If you want to run your bass throughthe PA, and you should, you need speakers that are up to the job. You haven't said what you have but by your description of how they sound they're inadequate.

5. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi

Ok the speakers and the PA was second hand and thus no manuals :crying:

however i can tell you the speakers are Peavey DL15 and DC12 ..well thats what they say on the cases anyway :meh:

Could it be a mixture of both the answers? Not enough power from the PA and not using real bass speakers?

Thanks for the help guys

James B

6. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Im thinking if i added a bass cabinet to the PA that might fix the problem and if it doesnt then i can put a head on the cabinet and run it as a rig?

Does that sound logical?

James B

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    that might make sense but you may need a low pass filter on that thing or all the vocals/screaming guitars will make your tweeter want to cry. im actually leaning for the seperate bass head/cab. all your cabs are on stage anyway right, so no loss running an instrument by-itself.

8. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Yeah what i was thinking is running the bass through the PA/Mixer directly to the bass cab .. so it locks out other instruments and only the bass can use the cab while the other instuments are free to use the other PA speakers... if that makes sense.

I know our PA can do that... its just a question now of ... what is better a Bass Rig or Drive the bass though the PA into a cab??

Thanks

James B

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The Peavey 15s should have no problem driving bass, so you may have a blown speaker(s) there. What are you using for a bass amp on stage?

10. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi

Nup no Amp im running straight to the PA (Powered Mixer)
    But im running a monitor on the stage so i can here what i should sound like.

Thanks for the help i might see if i can get a my hands on another 15 " speaker and see if that clears it up.

Thanks again

James B

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That's your problem. You need an amp for your stage volume, the PA is for the audience. You can do what you're doing if the stage monitor is large enough and if you have an experienced competant soundman on the board, but I get the impression that's probably not the case.

12. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi

Cool thanks foor that.. I'll give that a go!

Cheers

James B