Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass+PA+Sansamp = Good Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by halfnote, Feb 4, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    My wife and I bought a PA for us to practice our music with. Her acoustic guitars sound like heaven when plugged straight into it, but my bass sounds like hell. It is flat, kinda thin, and muddy on the bottom with no attack. I have searched and read threads about how kewl the Sansamp DDI is. Will the Sansamp DDI help me out with this situation or is it just for using in combination with an amp for recording? We also would like to play open mic nights around town, but I am afraid I am going to encounter the same problem and maybe I could just carry the Sansamp with me to ensure a workable sound.

I would definitly consider it a setback to my plan of world domination through the bass if I get kicked out of a project by my own wife cause of flabby tone.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I recently played a fill-in gig with just that set up. Sounded pretty good to me.

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    The Sans Amp Di will dramatically improve your sound coming out of the PA. I use it all the time this way.

4. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Get it! You'll love it!(Don't chinch on cables, instrument or XLR)

5. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Cool. Thanks amigos. It should arrive at my house Monday afternoon.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the SansAmp Bass DI. I will be buying one soon myself.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Halfnote,

Don't expect miracles. PA speakers, especially lower power handling ones (150 watts or less) simply aren't capable of handling big, ballsy bass. And your usual PA channel tone controls are voiced for vocals, certainly not for electric bass. They're probably at 100 hz, 2000 hz, and 10k hz -- no bass amp EVER had anything like that. The BDDI will certainly help with that, but you still have the spks to contend with.

Good luck. My control-freak bandleader used to have me going through the mains, but I eventually went back to lugging my Carvin 115 and it was like the lights came back on.

8. I've gotten many rave reviews on this pedal as well. My friend who gets guitar lessons at the local music shop said that the bassist who works there has one and it's incredible. Enjoy it, maybe one day on a far distant planet, I'll have the money to get one for myself.

9. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I use it, I love it, I recommend it.

10. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I bought the Sansamp Bass Driver and will not leave home without it now. I jumped in my car with just my bass and sansamp and drove to austin to jam with some buddies (who have a nice PA) and it was great! Not as cool as my Hartke rig of course, but it was a whole lot easier to load in and out! It sounded really warm and full. It also REALLY beefs up the sound of crummy practice amps. I do not have buyers remorse (which I often have)...I like it alot.

-halfnote