Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Painting Problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by timo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    I'm trying to paint my bass lots of different colours and when I've painted a section I obviously don't want it to get splatted by the other colours. I've been using masking tape to cover the painted bits but the problem is the masking tape always pulls off little bits of the surface of the paint. I did a test run on a piece of wood but maybe the length of time the tape is on for has something to do with it.

Anyone got any ideas? I thought I could try wetting a piece of paper, sticking it on and leaving it to dry but that might just be stupid.

Timo

2. When are you peeling off the masking tape, when the paint is wet or dry? It's better to peel off before the paint dries, to prevent paint being ripped off or torn. Assuming you're spraying, spray, leave a while, peel tape before it dries. You should always test on a throw away board prior to painting the real thing to overcome the problems.

3. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    I was waiting until it dried. I'll try that then. Cheers

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Use the blue painter's tape too rather than plain old masking tape. It will do a much better job.

5. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    Sorry include I got mixed up. I'm spraying a section then I need to cover it up so the tape goes on dry paint and I don't have a choice.

I'll try some of the blue tape. Cheers man

6. Don't use the tape alone. Use paper to do the masking with just a narrow bit of tape hangin over the edge to run against the edge of the previously shot area. This way, less paint is under the adhesive but it gets masked just as well.

7. No, my mistake. I misread your post. Hambone's suggestion is the way to go.

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you can get it the green 3m masking tape it's even better. Pull a section off the roll and stick it to your shirt, then pull it off... do that a few times and it will take a lot of the stickiness away, just be careful none of the fibers from your shirt get stuck in the finish.

9. That's a painter's trick older than all of us...You've learned well young master.

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    PAINT! :eek:

11. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    Cheers guys I used post-it notes for the last spray which was pretty stupid but worked quite well. I'll get some proper tape tomorrow and stick it to my shirt. :)

I want to get it all painted by thursday cos I'm playing in a school production of Joseph so I want to be "Tim and his amazing technicolour bass"