Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Palace, Scranton

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blipndub, Aug 15, 2000.

1. http://www.basspalace.com
    Scranton Penn.

Has anyone ever done any business with these guys?

They have a great line of basses and I'm just dieing of GAS!

2. Hey Blip,
    Yeah, I check out their website all the time.. very cool! I'd love to visit that place sometime.
    I sold them a G&L last year, when they were still the Bass Place at Lost River. I must tell you, it took them three weeks to send me a check, and it bounced. They were apologetic and added an extra $50 to the next check, which did not bounce. Just so you know.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i bought my aguilar db-680 from them - great guys, good selection and good prices. i had a problem with the unit right as i got it, and they were very helpful - i live in georgia, i went to their store when i was visiting relatives up north. anyway, they helped me get in touch with aguilar and get all my troubles squared away double-quick.

great store, great guys. go for it.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Never worked with them, but i just gotta say one thing... nice sig Dave! LOL. Does this stem from the song "im a teenage dirtbag"? That is all i want to say...before it gets too off topic. But i have heard that they had great customer service...but thats about it, besides the basses. But thats not a first person experience, so i shouldnt say if they are good/bad. But that is what ive heard.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Lakland came from the Bass Palace. The original owner referred me to them to verify it. I've heard only good things about them.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Wow!!! I've never heard of them before and am blown away by them. Great site! How come there are no stores like that in New Enlgand?

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I met one of the guys from there a few months ago at a guitar show here in Mass Bernie I believe and he was a very nice guy. They are going to be up this way again in October I Bernie said he would make me a great deal in trade for one of my jazz basses for one of there Stingray's. It's almost worth it to drive 6 hrs just to check out that huge inventory.

8. I just wanted to throw in my recent experience. I've got my eye on an old PRS bass like one I sold off years ago. I emailed Bob for a quote and he promptly replied including the shipping cost in the quote. We corresponded a little bit and he seemed very pleasant and willing to work with me now and in the future. As I am moving back to the West coast I will probably focus my business on local establishments for the most part but I'm sure will eventually use Basspalace to secure one of those PRSs that keep me awake at night.

9. teonigil

teonigil

Apr 21, 2005
    ISRAEL
    STAY AWAY !!!!!
    This guy from the Bass Palace (also called The Swami) is very "nice" before he takes your money.
    I have been burned badly by him and heard others were too.
    Same story... item is not as described, replaced parts, no reply to emails...etc.
    Sells junk.

10. I purchased two basses from him, one with a trade and one with cash and felt he held up his end of the deal just fine. I was happy with both basses and every issue was disclosed prior to shipping. Just my two cents on a resurrected thread.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I tried to contact them yesterday.
    Said he was out of town till July 18th, buying inventory?

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    have you met him in person or just ordered from him? i played one of hsi frankenstein fender jazz's...it was amzing. supposedly had a 69 maple on maple neck, white finished 70's alder body and tort pickguard with original 70's hardware and pickups....he was sellign it ata guitar show for 1200. i playe dit for about an hour at hsi booth, a lot of retailers wouldve hated sucha thing, he was coolw ith it, tons of peopel came up and asked about ym playign and the bass, adn eventually would look at hsi other stuff, a local pro even said he shouldve been paying me to play in front of the booth and he said he was all for it(jokingly). he sets really good prices for teh gear he sells as well...had a nice r-bass 4 string for 1600 and a mid 80's f-bass(the one! wish i ahd bought it) for 1500. i thin it is a mistake ot buy anythign sight unseen, but if you deal with him in person, hes a pretty good guy and a real solid player!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, man. i hardly think aguilar and wal are junk. i've been to his shop on numerous occasions even though i live 800 miles away, and every time he's had great stuff there. he's also been a great guy to deal with - like i said earlier in this thread, i got my db680 from him and it had a problem right off the bat - he hooked me up quick and easy, no sweat, including paying for shipping.

what did you buy from him? how did the deal go wrong?

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Been there many a time...they are very cool.
    No problem letting you noodle around with anything in the shop. Very helpful.

Only issue I've ever had has been when half the stuff's packed because he's hitting the road for a show or just getting back.

Never had a bad experience there though.

15. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I was there Friday....all closed up...no one around...no note or sign saying where they were.................

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

He had a pretty cool selection of used basses when I was at his shop almost 3 years ago.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've been trying to get in touch with them?
    Been closed for months?
    Will not anser phone?
    Are they closed for good?

18. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Resurrecting 6-year-old threads has become quite the trend around here...

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well, if someone would start a new thread about this, surely someone would come in and say "Do a search".:bag:
    Anyway I've done a couple trades with him and everything has always been as descibed.

20. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    The word from someone who lives in Scranton is that the fellow that ran it day to day while the owner is at shows has quit or left or something.....and that is why it is closed.......not sure if it's true or not
    I'm a lefty and we know how his opinion of us, so....no great loss for us anyway! Sure had nice stuff though....