1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Palace?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MattMPG, Apr 20, 2006.

1. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    I haven't dealt with Bass Palace in a couple of years. I tried to look at his website today and it is down. Is Bob still in business?

Matt

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It was up earlier this week when I looked, and the last update had been sometime last week (I think), so I'm pretty sure he's still in business. His ISP has been flakey sometimes and I've seen it down in the past. Phone number's (570) 341-2227 if you want to call and check to be sure, though.

Mike

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I believe he may already be enroute to the Dallas Guitar Show - or will be soon.

I've dealt with Bob several times the last few weeks through ebay, I think it's just a temporary site outage.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've given up dealing with them. I wanted to buy a bass from them a while back. No email response. No phone response. I wanted to buy a bass and have it delivered to Washington when I was there on business. Tried and gave up. This goes back about 18 months ago.

5. Yeah, I tried for a solid 2 weekd to buy a bass from him. Emailed several times - no reply. Called many, many, many times, his voicemail message changed each day and said he was in the store, but he never picked up and the voice mailbox was always full.

I gave up and bought one elsewhere.

6. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I had a hard time getting a hold of him once too. Hi site was up earlier today.

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I left him voicemails AND emails about two basses I said I was READY TO BUY and never heard back. Very disappointing, especially after such a good experience at BassNW. Oh well, now I can focus my attention on an MTD from the Grooveshoppe...:hyper:

Lonnybass

8. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    Now you know why I stopped selling my basses there.

Bob's a super guy, and he and I have had a few pleasant dinners at the local Steak and Ale together while traveling to guitar shows, but he has a self-sabotaging mentality that I just don't get. People would call and email him to buy an MPG he had in stock and he wouldn't get back to them. They would email me and ask what to do. I once had to drive 3 hours to his store and pick up a bass to send to a customer.

Matt Pulcinella
    www.mpguitars.com

9. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Same here, tried and tried to buy a US Masters from him, never a reply, nothing. It's still on the website and I still want it, but I can only bang my head against the bricks for so long.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    OK, I'm not the only one.

-Mike

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've dealt with him once, and it went cool, but these stories aren't new to me. I can only speak for myself, and my transaction was quick and smooth.

12. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i too tried to buy a bass and never heard back from him

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I would say that bass palace is the greatest thing Scranton has going for it.

14. i also tried to buy a bass from him. TWICE. two different basses, about a year or so apart. i had the cash. called him several times. left several messages. not one reply. so i spent my money somewhere else. i don't even look at his site anymore. what's the point? if he won't sell it to you!?!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Btw, my dealing with him was about 6 years ago.

16. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I did a trade with him and was not entirely happy with it. I felt he did not represent the condition of the item he sent me. It looked better in the pictures.

17. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Greetings to you Matt. I owned a Level 5 for about a year and a half. Smokin' instrument!! All the best to you in your business success!!

I sold a bass and bought a bass from Bob at trade shows. This was around '99-'00. He was terse but friendly. Then he got rude and short, and I couldn't interest him in selling me something - like an Epifani amp.

He's a heck of a writer though. I love his Swami Speaks features.:smug:

18. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I've dealt with Bob quite a bit. I have to say, I've had nothing but positive experiences with him. I've bought from him, and sold gear through The Palace as well.

Being a one man show, he can't get back to you as quickly as other places. That said, he's never NOT gotten back to me. The Palace is about 2 hours away from me, so I can't get there as often as I'd like. When I have been there, I've been amazed by the walk-in traffic, phone calls, and the number of emails Bob will try to get through while I'm trying basses out! It's amazing that he gets anything done. In spite of all the activity, Bob's always been friendly and accomodating while I've been there - even ordering lunch, etc.

I know he's been focusing on trying to get back to folks quicker in the past year or so.

When I contact him, I just try to be patient. It's always good to look at the "guitar shows" page on the site too. If you don't hear from him - he may be traveling.

Anyway, just wanted to add a positive.

Pat

19. Bob is a great guy to hang with but he's overwelmed and not doing much to rectify it. I've done a quite a few deals with him in the past and he used to be great up until a couple years ago. I won't deal with him anymore now. It's just not worth the hassle of getting myself worked up over his inability to communicate and follow through on his end. My last transaction with him was the straw that broke the camels back. Never again and I know for a fact that I'm not the only repeat customer who has stopped trading with him for that reason.

Jeff

20. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    ive never bought anything from bob, but i have met him a few times at guitar shows in saratoga ny. hes a bit of an odd guy, but i love how he takes care fo his instruments as if they are his personal ones, not items up for sale. of course, this can pose problems for attempted buyers im sure. but he is a decent guy, i played his custom 69/70's jazz bass that is on hsi site for over an hour at the show and had a good time hanging out with him.