Bass Pandora

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by line1, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Is bass pandora all that it is cut out to be??
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As a home practice tool? Yup.
    As a live tool? Not really. It's kind of noisy
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It is a great tool.

Not only does it let you hear your bass in reasonably good fidelity, but you can record yourself.

Put a recording and you can eliminate the bass, slow the recording down, or even change the key, so you, playing your bass, can get it on.

Then there's the aspect that you can add lots of effects to your bass - delay, echo, fuzz, overdrive, compression, you name it.

My bet is - you won't be sorry.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a Pandora PX3B, and it's a nice little tool.

The sounds on it aren't bad at all. As far as presets are concerned, it's all a matter of taste. Personally, there's only a few presets that I actually like. The effects are OK, not top notch, but OK. They have a limited number of parameters to set, and not as robust as a full fledged effects unit.

As a practice tool, the thing is great. Has a built in drum machine to practice to.

In a live situation, I only used it once. It's a little more cumbersome to use than a pedal, and as davidmwilson said, it's a little noisy. I have used it to record into a line in and it was OK, but there's plenty of other boxes that I prefer over the Pandora to use for recording.

If you want to use it primarily as a practice tool, the Pandora is a neat gadget. But, for full fledged live and recording use, it falls a little short. If you're not looking for quiet audiophile quality effects, it's OK. I would say the Pandora is useful for recording and live use, but in terms of quality, features, and ease of use, you can do better.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just to clarify - it was never intended as an effects unit in a live situation or as a recording tool.

But, when it's 1 am in the morning with headphones or when I want to grab a riff off a recording, it can't be beat.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree 100%. But I know people consider it for live use, I know I thought about it when I first got mine.
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, at one point I entertained the idea of using mine for live use and then quickly slapped myself. As a practice tool, the Pandora is great. I even take mine with my Steinberger Spirit on camping trips. I also take it along to gigs as a backup tuner. I figure I could also run it direct into the PA if my rig ever fails at a gig. Fortunately, I have never had to test that theory.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I figure I'd revisit this thread since I've had some recent use during a live setting.

I had a gig on Friday, and I planned on only using my SABDDI into the PA to save stage space. When I looked into my gig bag, I couldn't find my SABDDI. I realized that I left it at home, and instead brought my Pandora. I brought this bass on a roadtrip with me, and instead of packing my Sansamp, I brought the Pandora to practice with.

After going doh for a while, I borrowed the keyboard player's DI and used the Pandora as a preamp. The results were quite good. I used the Blues Bass setting and the sound on it was pretty good. It sounded better than using the plain vanilla DI. I have to admit that the controls on it are tedious to use in a live setting, but it was a nice life saver. I found that when it is used in front of a DI, the sound is pretty good.
  9. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with what most people have said about the Pandora - as a home practise tool it's pretty good, but I find that I use my laptop more and more instead. I've got 'The Amazing Slowdowner' software installed which cost around $50 and I find gives much better quality than the Pandora.

I don't have any effects software - but don't tend to use them anyway.

Whn I moved house recently I had everything but 1 bass and my Pandora put into storage for a while and found it very useful. There are better quality headphone amps out there though if you're after pure fidelity.

So, bottom line is it depends what you're looking for, but it's not a bad tool (but what about the Tascam version which has a built in CD player).
  10. I never had a problem with noise. (My electroincs are passive, however) It can do wonders when run through the effects loop on your amp. I have recorded jingles direct to minidisc and the quality is awesome. I never recorded on the phrase sampler. Some effects are good, others not. The drums suck. But hell, its a tuner, headphone amp. poor man's rack effects unit. I really like the preset "DANCE" setting for live use. The "tremelo" is great for playing alone, especially with stereo.

Just get a used one.
  11. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
    I got one a week ago to use as a practice tool, and it is definitely worth the money. All I need to rehearse parts now is my mp3 player and my pandora, (and my bass of course).
  12. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    Tascam vs Pandora? which one do you think is better?