Bass parts - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I just picked up a no name ply bass that needs everything.

It has a sound post and I have some bridges but I need fingerboard, tunners, endpin, tailpiece. I really don't want to spend alot on high quality parts because I don't think it's really that high quality of a bass. But I got it for free, well for doing a little recording in exchange. Which feels like free since I haven't done the recording yet.

Anyway I would like to get it fixed up so who has cheap parts?

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Unfortunately, if you are looking to purchase parts to fix your bass, you won't find any "cheap" parts through shops or anyone advertising on this site. Mainly because most of us are looking to upgrade our already existing cheap parts.

I will be having some upgrades done to my bass over the next week or so, including replacing my bridge, end pin, tailgut and tuners.

If you can wait a couple of weeks until I have this work done, you can have them for a nominal price plus shipping.

Otherwise, its whatever members of this site have to offer up or e-Bay!!!!
  3. I would check out (all Hail!) Bob gollihur's site. He has some good links there. Hooked me up with an excellent quality fingerboard. Also Stew- Mac is a good place to look for raw materials
  4. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yeah I will probably get some of the stuff from Bob, such as the fingerboard and tailpiece. I emailed him this morning about a fingerboard. If I cut an inch or so of the top of one of his Engelhardt boards it should fit this bass.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Unless the bass you currently have is an Englehardt, don't buy the Englehardt fingerboard. They are very narrow... most fingerboard blanks are oversized so you can do the final custom fitting to the existing maple neck...

International Violin has a nice selection and good prices on boards, tuners, etc.
  6. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    It's not an Englehardt, thanks for that info.

7. I like International Violin. I always had good dealing with them.
  8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I will add that often they are out of stock on something, and won't tell you until it is too late... make sure to ask when ordering if everything is in stock.

Also, the "rosewood" fingerboards they sell are Engelhardt boards.
  9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Good call, and actually true of many places offering rosewood boards.
  10. Hey there! One quick question... A fellow College Bassist has a Juzeck Bass and it has wooden tuners inside the scroll instead of Brass. Well one of them decided to snap in half and I was wondering if you all knew a good luthier in the area that could help out. KC Strings is the only one I can think of. If anyone has any better ideas, feel free to holler! Thanks!
  11. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    You might also try Lemur Music and Quinn Violins. Not so much repair oriented parts but competitive prices on strings and set-up parts.
  12. Thanks guys! I will look into it!
  13. bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    Got some parts from and somebody named bezdez in canada. found him on ebay, do a search for user ID bezdez. they both had reasonably priced parts and prompt shipping.