Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass parts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Apr 3, 2001.

1. I seemed to have lost my screws to the active plate on the back of my Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-400 and was trying to find some screws that would fit but I noticed that they were brass inserted. I bought a few screws but could never find one that fit exactly. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place online that sells these, the price doesn't really matter, I just really wanna play some more.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A few things;

- Have you tried a "real" hardware store? The kind where they don't give out free popcorn and a customer can buy one nail/screw/washer/etc. and still receive good service? Where you can go up to a guy and show him your bass and he will find the screws you want for you?

- How about one of the gazillion Ibanez dealers? That network is part of the price you're paying for an Ibanez. If you can't locate one in your area, (their website has a dealer locator). any music store tech/luthier usually has tons of spare parts littering their work areas.

- If all else fails, you can e-mail them from their website.

Sorry, I can't tell you exactly which kind of screw you need. I never owned an Ibanez/

3. Yes, infact I spent quite a while at the hardware store I thought I found a set of screws that might fit but they were too long. I went back to the store and it was the shortest size they had. It's just making me mad that I can't play because of some stupid screws that are near impossible to find.

I'll keep checking around some places and see if I can find any, I already checked at the only 2 Ibanez dealers around and no luck.

Thanks,
    ergodynebass

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's pathetic. I guess I'll let people stop knocking my Carvin because they don't have a dealer network that didn't have to be figured into the price.

I'm surprised they couldn't at least look through the tech's/luthier's boxes of junk, or maybe they're only interested in you if you want to buy the whole bass :rolleyes:

5. Lol, and to think that I spent my hard-earned money on buying an Ibanez bass from them and they won't even go in the back and look for 4 small screws. After I got this fixed I was gonna buy a new amp anyways, I'll just remember not to buy from them.

6. Yea, I would do that but the coating of the bass is glossy and it might takeup the paint.

7. I'm trying to find some on some websites such as stewmac.com but all I see is boxes of 1000 screws and all I need is 4.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Did you get metric screws?
    As a contrast to US:p, Japan has left the olde inch for the international standard:)!

Get a good caliper and measure the inner diameter of the brass ferrule, round off up to the nearest mm and go get the screw. If its too long, cut it:rolleyes:

9. Hey now thats the way for someone whos got time to do it, I'm the kinda person whos got the money to do it. j/k. ;)

10. Well today I went to another hardware store with no luck, its like they don't sell metric flathead wood screws of the size that I need. At least I got my bass itself working, I had to soilder some parts under the active cover.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wood screws?
    I thought we were talking Ergodyne with brass inserts...
    Did you take the bass to the HW-store? Might help.... (getting low on ideas....)

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    IF they are correct otherwise, just take a metal saw and cut them to size. Since they are ment for an insert, they don't require a sharp tip.

13. Nah, its like they are brass inserted for the diameter of the screw but the length doesn't seem to matter because I stuck a toothpick down in one at theres no brass down there. I think its around a 3.0mm diameter but no one around here sells anything that exact size. I might go check another dealer around and see what he thinks.