Bass Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Why do people always change things on their bass. I don't even know what a truss rod is! If sopmeone could help me and explain these parts of the bass it would help me greatly.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...let's try this way. (You weren't specific, so I'm going to go Bass 101 on you...)

-Knobs: Pots
    -Keys on head of bass: Tuners
    -Pegs the strings wrap around: Tuning Pegs/Heads/Machines (seen all of those terms used)
    -Sliver thingies on neck: Frets
    -Dots on neck: Position Markers or Inlays
    -Truss Rod: Runs through the neck to maintain the rigidness of the neck. Without one, the neck would bend like a bow (warp) BAD. You can use it to adjust the action (space between strings and neck) by tightening it to make the neck flatter, or looser to make the neck bow a little more for higher action.
    -Bridge: what the strings are anchored on on the body. (The whole contraption)
    -Saddle: the little barrel shaped device that the strings sit on. This provides a witness point for the string.
    -Nut, the little block on the neck where the strings lie right before the first fret.
    -Witness point: String makes a tone, determined by point A and point B. the Nut and the Saddles are point A and B.
    -Pre-amp: what controls the bass's sound (what makes the pots work)
    -Pickups: Please god, tell me you know what pickups are...
    -Active electronics: powered by a battery on the bass
    -Passive electronics: Not powered.

Ok. Now why do people change these? Quality is a huge factor in the sound, by replacing parts they can "upgrade" the sound. Quality is subjective, and that is why there are so many Bass companies out there. Most people change parts to taylor the sound of the bass to their liking. By chaning the electronics (pre-amp maybe), or the bridge, they "improve" the sound.

Hope this helps. If it was insulting to your intelligence in any way, sorry.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For pic's of identified parts and a glossary of bass parts and terms, go to . Click on the "Gear" link and you'll see it at the very top of the listings.

BTW, some other people change parts on their basses because they blame the bass for their lousy playing and sound, instead of the person playing it. :rolleyes: