Bass pedal to thicken tone during a guiatar solo?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Oct 14, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My band mostly plays as a three piece. I like my tone, I run a little compression for the peaks but for the most part I like it straight up and clean. But when the guitar solos it sounds thin without the seond guitar there. I notice when doing Rage or Chilli Pepper covers Timmy C. and Flea use an effect to thinkin up their tone in order to make it sound fuller during solos. I think I want a pedal to have the option to do that for covers and our originals. I know Timmy C. used a Marshall Gov'nor and not sure what Flea used. Would I be best to look into a distortion pedal of some sort for this purpose? What kind of pedal would be good for this without sucking my lowend or coloring my tone too much? I just want to make it sound a little thicker and grumpier to have an overall thicker sound while I am playing by myself during a solo? I did a search but I am not totally sure whcih effect I need to accomplish this? Thanks!
  2. well, Flea (and me) use the Boss works just fine, but you just need to fine tune the settings while playing, because you'll find out that alone, your tone will sound aweful, but in a band setting, it will really thicken up!

i know odb-3's don't seem to be the distortion of choice around here, but it seems to work for me!
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Being in a 3-piece band, I understand you completely. Lately I have been using bass chords or simple double-stops to fill the spectrum, but a good chorus or octave effect can work well, too.
  4. +1 on the chorus, however if you really want to try it you could run a chorus and a distortion, i reckon that might fill up the tone a bit, not too sure how that may sound though, i think with slight distortion it should be alright.
  5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Akai Unibass (if you can find one) works well for filling up space. If you wanna just thicken up your tone, I'd suggest adding a little overdrive. You don't need much, just enough to add some overtones to your basic sound. A little really goes a long way. The key is to balance the OD with your clean sound, so it doesn't sound too obvious. You could try an EQ, but it really depends on the sound your going after.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had one of these but didn't really like it. I thought the distortion in it sounded cheesy. It just did appeal to me.
  7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I agree with all the above about adding some overdrive and chorus. Another great way is to add some octave.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, octave is a very handy one to use.
  9. I think more than any pedal, it's about sustaining your notes a little bit more. Compression will do that for you somewhat. As will overdrive. But you can do it yourself.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Stomp on a SansAmp Bass Driver and your bass will be on steroids.

Trouble is, (at least for me) - I use it all of the time, not just during guitar breaks, because it adds so much.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I would also second the people who have said to change your line a little, make it fuller with octaves, stops, chords etc.
  12. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +2. Also, you may find a boost pedal (i.e. overdrive) helpful... SIB Fatdrive is a good call, for one.
  13. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    You could try the Aphex bass exciter pedal as well
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm looking for a grumpy tone. So maybe and overdrive or distortion of some sort from what I gather. I am trying to sound like a bass and guitar with mild distortion at the same time. Multiple effects are cool but I don't want to stomp on 2-3 things, I just want to hit one pedal. So the boss ODB-3 is a cool choice, what about overdrive pedals? Whats the difference between a distortion vs overdrive? What won't suck my lows? My bro has a chorus pedal for guitar so I don't think I want that. Some of you mentioned octive, is that a pedal or do you you mean just playing the octives of the root notes to make it sound thicker?
  15. What's a double-stop?

I kick in the BASS DRIVER on my ME-50B with very little overdrive and a little more gain/volume than when it's off. I found my perfect setting after 1 or 2 rehearsals.
  16. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Playing two notes at once (i.e. intervals)
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Like the root and the 5th together?
  18. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    A neat trick is to split your signal into two. Run one through and octaver and put some guitar distortion on it, and have the other signal clean (maybe a chorus). It'll sound like you have a rhythm guitar and your bass.
  19. yes...listen to "Know your enemy" by ratm (during the solo) to hear some double stops...thats the first one that comes to mind...i mean, you did mention timmy C.!
  20. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I will listen to that, thanks.