1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass pedalboard setting - Signal path

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KidMantra, Nov 27, 2017.

1. KidMantra

KidMantra

Nov 27, 2017
    Chile
    Hi, i want to know your opinions about my signal path!! would you change something? what do you think?? I will enter to a recording studio in a few weeks and i want to be sure about my setup, or if i should try a different one.

Bass --> Korg pitchblack tuner --> Xotic SP Compressor --> EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff --> Ibanez TS9B -->Sansamp bass driver programmable --> Dunlop TS1 --> Boss GEB7 --> Boss DD7 --> Amp

Thanks!

HolmeBass likes this.
  2. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That’s pretty solid

KidMantra, LowActionHero and tfer like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have no idea what I am talking about being a pedal noob. But I have read here that you may want to experiment with your compressor both before and after your drives and the Muff. Some prefer the way those react to an uncompressed signal.

4. KidMantra

KidMantra

Nov 27, 2017
    Chile
    Yeah, i was just reading about it. I have another compressor pedal, maybe can be too much, but i will try that, thanks!

5. KidMantra

KidMantra

Nov 27, 2017
    Chile
    Thanks man

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry. Reading back through it I worded that incorrectly.

Try moving your one compressor BEHIND your dirt pedals one by one to see if any of them like an uncompressed signal. When I said "both before and after" I meant try it each way and put the one compressor in front or behind the pedals that like a compressed or not compressed signal.

Sorry for the confusion. :D

By the way, Welcome to TalkBass!!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    KidMantra and Roberto Nunez like this.
  7. KidMantra

KidMantra

Nov 27, 2017
    Chile
    thanks!!

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I always put my tuner last. In mute (tuning) mode it mutes any noise from the board.

9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'd take the tuner out of the chain completely. Those things are notorious tone suckers. If you like how the compressor in your board colors your sound keep it especially if you like how it works before your overdrive. Otherwise the studio will have better compressors than any pedal, same with the EQ and delay, unless you feel like they are going to change your performance. While you are in there you might want to record a dry parallel track (your producer/engineer might insist on doing so anyway. Remember that the studio is a different beast than playing live and what is unnoticeable live and in the practice room will glare at you in the studio. That little hum/buzz that is drowned out in other situations can make a track unusable. The last time I went into a studio with a band I left all of my pedals at home. When my band mates asked why I responded that all of the equipment they had in the studio was better than what I was playing.

C/S,
    Rev J

KidMantra and jaymelewis like this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ In the studio I would never have anything in the path that wasn't essential at the moment.

KidMantra, Winoman and Gearhead17 like this.
  11. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    The OP said he was going into the studio with that setup so I figured I'd put in my $0.02.

C/S,
    Rev J

40Hz likes this.
  12. Keep it as is, might change everything in the studio anyway . Usually happens haha

KidMantra and jaymelewis like this.
  13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    You should always take a clean DI when recording, unless you're very experienced with dialing in tones in the studio; even then, it's never a bad idea, and it allows you significantly more creative freedom after the fact.

It's also exponentially easier, faster, and cheaper to reamp a perfect performance than to re-record it.

If you like the sound of your signal chain, simply track both the amp and a clean DI in parallel.

BrBss, KidMantra, pudgychef and 2 others like this.
  14. Try this for fun (I'm approaching this from a live perspective), as the studio should have a premium EQ for you to play through:

Bass --> Korg pitchblack tuner --> Xotic SP Compressor --> Ibanez TS9B -->Boss GEB7 -->EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff --> Sansamp bass driver programmable --> Dunlop TS1 --> Boss DD7 --> Amp

This way you can goose the Muff two ways, with the Ibby OD or with the EQ, or even both. Use the EQ to restore the bass freqs coming from the TS (yes, I realise it's the "bass" model, no I haven't any experience with the bass TS, but the circuit tends to lose bass no matter what) and then the EQ also bumps the mids to combat the Muff's inherent midscoop.

Maybe even try the Trem last before the amp.

In fact (back to the studio mindset now), since you've got a couple of weeks, why not try to have a few different chain-orders/sounds dialled in that you can play around with for some spicy variety — mix and match to what the song needs. Beats having only one tone and then find out that tone that worked great for the last 3 tracks is completely wrong for track 4...

KidMantra and blindrabbit like this.
  15. Yeah I think that particular comp probably works best before drives, unless your fuzz doesn't get along with it. Other multiband ones like the MXR Bass Comp Certainly can work better later. Depending on what you use your EQ for it might work better in front of your drives, I often use one in front of some of my drive pedals to push them into different sounds

KidMantra likes this.
  16. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I like compression at the end - distortion is a form of compression, after all, so I like to do that afterwards. It's not the end of the world though, I bet it sounds great!

KidMantra likes this.
  17. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Totally - when it comes to compressors and eq's, whatever is at your feet is nothing compared to an in-your-face 1176 or the tubey goodness of a fairchild or pultec or 1073... By all means, get your sound the way you like it, but when it comes to corrective EQ and compression to level out your signal just remember that there are far greater tools (and people to use those tools) in the studio.

KidMantra and Rev J like this.
  18. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I like going off the back with the tuner (tuner out) it sits up on top so I can see it.

19. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    You may want to swap your TS-9 and Big Muff around. That way you could stack them if you wanted. An OD into a Fuzz could be pretty nice but a Fuzz into an OD not so much.

KidMantra likes this.
  20. Yeah. That looks pretty good. It's almost exactly the way my stuff is configured (in the many incarnations of gig/genre specific pedal boards I have to use)...

My comp "pushes" my dirt boxes (when needed to) and they in turn drive any time-based effects and so on... Of course, my two "final" pedals (ampeg SCR and Tronographic Rusty Box) are at the very end of the chain, simply because I want ALL the effects to sound like they are in front of whatever amp sound I'm going for (clean to gritty SVT or full on blown up Rusty/GK drive).

KidMantra likes this.