1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass pedals - not "effects" - think Rutherford/Genesis

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 9mmMike, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Is anyone here using these? Information seems scarce and I am interested in them for my instrumental trio to add some depth to what we're doing.
    Do they run through the same cab as my bass or would this be like a second rig? Or is using them live a hassle and I should just focus on a setup for the studio?
    Sorry if these are like bass pedal 101 but it is difficult to find info.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. There's a big thread called Bass Pedal(Roland,Taurus,Midi,etc) Club. Try there.

Indiedog likes this.
  3. 9mmMike

Indiedog likes this.
  4. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, that thread is very much worth looking over.

But in my opinion, YOUR question is very much ignored over there. I had the same question when I got my Moog Taurus III's and I couldn't get much response about how to really do justice to the Moog. For my (admittedly weird) situation, I eventually decided to use my existing JBL EON powered speakers but added a big ole Mackie sub-woofer. My Moog runs through the JBL/Mackie combo while my Fender Rumble 500 handles my bass.

I have a substantial and quite adjustable low end that way!
    (Oh, and great to see that you are a Rutherford/Genesis fan. Me too!)

basscapes and 9mmMike like this.
  5. 9mmMike

6. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    You are most welcome.
    There are many ways to achieve your goal so dig deep.
    (pun intended)

7. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I use a Roland PK-5A paired to a Roland Juno-G. I have used other synths besides the Juno-G and I have used other pedals like the Keith McMillen 12-Step, but prefer the PK-5A. I've never used a set of Moog Taurus pedals, but I'm told they are heavy. I don't bring a stage rig for this setup, I rely on the club's PA and haven't had any issues with that. I also put a laptop with an audio interface between the PK-5A and the Juno-G but you don't need to get overly complicated if you just want to add some bass parts.

It can be a lot of extra gear to schlep.

--jack

Indiedog likes this.
  8. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Indeed. The PK-5A plus a good-sounding module (ideally, a Moog Minataur) is an excellent work-around to the cost and weight of a Taurus. And as you say, the McMillen works too (I have one as well) but the PK-5A has the advantage of offering the traditional-style pedals.

9. IIRC, The late Mr. Chris Squire ran a set of pedals into a separate SWR amp and 2x15 cab rig (DI to house FOH, of course) while his Ricky went into his SVT-II/Marshall rig, live.

That being said, I've played synth-bass parts (usually pedal "sounds" from a keyboard) and found that they don't sound right through a "real" bass guitar amp (tuned/designed to interact with the bass guitar)- they need a full range P.A. with subs (separate amp/eq/spkr/full range amp/full range cab) to be effective, IMHO.

Nothing like the good ol' gut massage that a Moog setup through a good FOH can give the patrons, eh?

9mmMike and Indiedog like this.
  10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  11. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    I run a Roland PK-5 pedal set into my Korg Microkorg. Gets a pretty close moog/Taurus sound and there are a lot of tone shaping capabilities and knobs.(analog styling)
    On stage I just run it through an old peavey keyboard amp, then another signal to the house if it's a larger venue.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021