1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Personalization

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Sep 6, 2008.

1. 0ne of my clients called me earlier today and said "Matt, I just bought my son a fender J and I want to personalize it, what do you think?" I said "i know some guys that have some great ideas, let me talk to them and i'll get back to you"

If you didnt get the hint, ALL OF YOU ARE THOSE GUYS. So what are some ideas....besides inlay, to personalize his son's bass.

2. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia

The options are endless and open. Without knowing the kid's personality it's tough.

I rarely leave anything in its stock form, but I like for it to appear stock. If it were mine I would change out the bridge, the pickups, replace the tuning keys with a better version, and put a bone nut on the fretboard.

I would also completely shield the cavities while I was inside, and possibly toss in a preamp.

If you don't know what you're looking at, you would never suspect that anything has been done. You would just hear a sweeter than normal sound.

I guess I have been affected by all my days grudge racing sleepers. Make it better, but make it look like everything else.

3. +1. Only his imagination and wallet are holding him back. If he means 'personalized' as far as putting the kid's name on it, he can take it to a luthier so that the finish can be sanded and the kid's name placed on the body and then refinished. Of course, this affects the resale value, unless he becomes a world famous bassist.

4. I saw a really sweet guitar one time where they painted the body black, drew all over the body with white graffiti pens (I think it might have been a giant skull with more skulls around it... It was really nice looking.) and then spraying a clear coat over that. It looked simple and amazing.
    Another option would be extreme inlaying, but that depends on your creativity and talent with tools.
    There's also the option of re-topping... that usually looks amazing... but I suppose that could easily mess up the bass.

I guess it depends on how extreme you want to be with personalization. You could do pretty much anything you like.

5. Leave nothing stock except neck, and the body :p
    Swap everything

6. i had alot of fun buying a plain white pickguard and spraying it with a base coat of paint then painting creeping vines ALL over it so it looked like they were growing from the neck pup. cheap? yep. fun? uhuh. personalized? well its totally unique!

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    One word:

Stickers.

8. Thats an awesome Idea. I was looking for something simple like that. I'm definitely gonna tell him to do that so him and his son can really make it their own.

9. And yes, I was looking for something like putting the kids name on it, but not that simple. And he didn't want me to do it for him, he wanted to be able to do it himself.

10. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    just simple things,
    new pick guard
    new knobs,
    maybe some color coated strings.

shouldn't cost too much either.

11. I've had my name inlaid on a few basses.

12. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    two words:
    hell yeah!