Bass/Piano duets

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bassmonkeee, Mar 26, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been listening to the Duke Ellington/ Ray Brown album, This One's For Blanton, and really love Ray's tone, and feel. Definitely inspiring me to get my Strunal set up, and get going on learning to play the darn thing properly.....

Some others that I've been enjoying are the Bill Evans/ Eddie Gomez albums (some withE. Gomez on electric), the Charlie Haden duet albums from the 70s (with Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, etc), and the Hank Jones/ Charlie Haden album of Spirituals.

What are some other duet albums should I be aware of?
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks, Ed,

I do have the Jim Hall/ Ron Carter disc, and also the Jim Hall/Bill Evans stuff, too. I've been going on a Bill Evans frenzy on've got to love DSL and well organized, legal mp3s.

I'll have to look into the Michael Moore stuff. I don't think I have much with him other than the BassDay video of his duets with Rufus Reid.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hampton Hawes/Charlie Haden, "As Long As There's Music"....if you can find it. Also, the Monty Alexander/John Clayton duo stuff is fabulous.
  4. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    For more Ray Brown stuff, the two duo albums he did with Jimmy Rowles, "Tasty" and "As Good As It Gets".
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Pat Metheny/Charlie Haden-"Beyond the Missouri Sky."

Don Byas/Slam Stewart "I've got Rythym."
    Just one cut on a Smithsonian compilation, but well worth it.
  6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    and if you like the other charlie haden duos, i think you'll dig his record with kenny barron - night and the city. his tone is more killin' on this record than any other i've heard.

sean p

(i love threads like this - so much ear fodder!)
  7. Zinno's was the scene of the ultimate bass duets: Rufus Reid and Michael Moore filled the place for 4 consecutive Sunday nights. Now that should make every bassist smile.
  8. If you have a Barnes and Noble in your town, don't walk--RUN--to their music department, where there is currently a Concord jazz CD blowout. I just picked up about a dozen Concord CDs for $4 each, including the excellent Maybeck Hall piano/bass duo recordings featuring Roger Kellaway/Red Mitchell (his last recording) and Adam Makowitz/George Mraz.

Each is outstanding, and they capture the sound of the Red's and George's basses beautifully.
  9. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    the best recent piano/db recording I've heard is Matthew Shipp/William Parker's album DNA on Thirsty Ear.
  10. I have those, but my favorite of the Maybeck series is Charlap/Moore, mentioned in a prior post. I know that Michael was playing without a pickup, nothing but pure bass sound.
  11. Looks like I'll be running back to B&N.
  12. not a duo, but drumless/hornless and showing off great bass playing in the same way as a duo is "Full Nelson" with Steve Nelson, Kirk Lightsey, and Ray Drummond
  13. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    also check out George Shearing with Neil Swanson, and Dave Young has 3 CD's with pianists, including Renee Rosnes, Oscar Peterson,Mulgrew Miller, and many others, those are great albums.
  14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    okay, so this thread is a bit old...
    but nobody here has mentioned willie dixon/memphis slim. whoo-weee, there's some great music in those four hands. I know Willie Dixon isn't a great bassist, but he's one of the most musical.
  15. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Don't forget the duet albums that NHOP has recorded with Oscar Peterson and Kenny Drew.