Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass & piano?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jsurkiewicz, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jsurkiewicz

jsurkiewicz

Jan 28, 2005
    Can anyone suggest a suitable classical piece transcribed for 4-string electric bass (or cello) and piano? I'm a 54-year-old beginner returning to music after putting down my trombone 30-some years ago. I just ran into a friend who's doing the same thing--getting back into classical piano after a few decades--and we'd like to play together. I've been taking lessons since January and I'm having a lot of fun learning the Bach cello suite No. 1 (not to mention Brown Eyed Girl). Any suggestions along those lines for bass/cello and piano (the Bach, not the Morrison) would be great.

2. Maybe you could play some organ works, and you could hold down the low notes?

3. Oh yes Organ music is a GREAT idea! The way organ music is written is that it usually has a treble and bass staff, like typical Piano music, but then it also has an additional bass staff for the pedals. These pedal scores aren't all long notes. Some of them are quite flowing and technical, especially some of the Bach stuff!

Just a FYI, the lowest note on an Organ is a C.

Out of curiosity, how are you playing the Cello Suites? Do you tune your bass like a cello or do you play a 5 string? I tried to figure out the first cello suite but got stuck when I had to go down to that low C.

4. jsurkiewicz

jsurkiewicz

Jan 28, 2005
    I use a 4 string and a book of Bach suites transcribed for bass guitar. The notes below E are also shown an octave higher.

5. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Try playing the cello suite in the same octave as the cello. You're playing them an octave lower. If you play the prelude in the correct octave, your highest note will be 24th fret on G string, and your lowest will be 8th fret on the E string. If you don't have 24 frets then try using false harmonics.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    My favorite subject.

Johannes Brahms (son of DB player) wrote two lots of chamber music that might interest you. Transcriptions for bass guitar, I don't know. But you could get some recording of his work.

3 piano trios - cello, piano, clarinet
    2 cello sonantas

I often think, that bass guitar has more in common with the cello than double bass.

7. jsurkiewicz

jsurkiewicz

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestion. I really like Brahms.

8. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
  9. jsurkiewicz

jsurkiewicz

Jan 28, 2005
    That should do it. Thanks.

10. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Bach's inventions work great as duets for bass and guitar or bass and keyboard and they arent to difficult. Sound good too