Bass pick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by muffinmafian220, Jan 28, 2003.

1. muffinmafian220

Jan 1, 2003
    are bass picks any different than guitar picks and if they are why doesn't anyone make them?
  2. Yes, and they do.

Fender makes bass picks, they're big triangle picks.

But some bassists prefer the regular guitar pick, for one reason or another.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bass picks I have seen where made of a felt type material. we used to call them felt picks. It was also a little thicker than two quarters and is usually grey in color, but I have not seen one in over 25 years!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A medium guitar pick works very well. That's what I play my Hamer 12 with.

For playing a normal(singled) bass, I prefer Dunlop stubbys. They give a better tone than a normal pick, IMHO.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like Sharkfins, perfect for bass IMO, the narrow tip minimizes string noise. I use the thin red ones.
  6. no, most bassists use thick guitar picks. i use heavy dunlop nylons, the see-thru red kind. i've never dropped one in the middle of a song.
  7. I received 3 of those felt picks last weekend...They aren't flimsy like felt but sturdy. Haven't tried them yet...Try Guitar Center...
  8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  9. Besides fingerstyle, I use Dunlop 73mm nylon picks for certain tunes and I've been using felt picks for many years for stuff that requires a bit more "thud."

Use whatever the song needs.
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I find that thicker picks are necessary to get a good tone out of thicker bass strings. Some people say using a thicker pick inhibits speed, but I don't see how.

Personally, I use Dunlop Jazz III picks.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i use Dunlop 1mm and that works for me

12. I use dunlop's. There's this blue kind, i know it's 1.14 mm, and blue, with the tortoise on it, they rocked. I think it was graphite.. too bad can't find them anymore :(

I use lots of different dunlops. from 0.79mm-3mm
  13. Nothing special, I use the Dunlop ones with the turtle on, 1.5mm, they're a horrible shade of purple.

I don't feel comfortable with anything more, and I don't like the way anything less bends.
  14. I play std guage Rotosound swing bass strings and use fender 1mm triangles and Clayton 1mm traditional guitar pick shape. They do the trick for me.