Bass picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrlocrian, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mrlocrian

Aug 6, 2005
    Anyone know if there are any picks out there where you can get a sound close to the sound of fingerstyle?
  2. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah the accessories guy at guitar center tried to sell me a pick that's supposed to do that. I think it was made out of cardboard, I didn't buy it but it looked like it would do the trick, check out your local music store.
  3. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Felt picks, or I think Dunlop makes some sort of rubber-type pick that mimics finger tone really well.
  5. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    yeah that pick that I thought looked like cardboard was a 'felt' pick. Looked like it would do the trick.
  6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    If you want the fingerstyle sound then play with your fingers...
  7. What sort of a dumb comment is that :eyebrow:

But anyway, yeah felt picks emulate a finger style sound really well, the only thing is the ones i have used were quite thick and i had trouble using them on 5'ers with close string spacing, so head to your local gutiar store and try both felt and rubber out.
  8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I have held a regular heavy pick so that the tip is even with my thumb and forefinger's tip so either way I strike the string it is immediately dampened by my digit. That's as close as I've ever gooten to sounding like finger style. The challenge is to keep from getting a "pick chime" ala Billy Gibbons from ZZTop where you get a harmonic chime by using the same technique. You can prevent that by dampening with the rest of your hand as you play. It's not easy, but it can be done.
  9. I would never use something entitled The Wedgie
  10. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    if you have an old leather wallet or belt lying around, you can make them yourself....

or get a triangular pick (or any pick that is big), round the tips (or just get a used one), sandwich the pick between two pieces of cardboard cut like the pick, and wrap it with duct tape.... another use for duct tape.
  11. mrlocrian

Aug 6, 2005
    Awesome : ) thanks for the responses everyone.
  12. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks for that info! I'm a long time player who predominatly uses a pick. I ordered both the 3.1mm Hard and 5.0mm hard to give them a try and I love them! Especially the 5.0mm. I recorded myself playing the same song fingerstyle and with the 5.0mm rubber wedgie and I really couldn't tell the difference, except I had a little more attack with the wedgie! The 3.1mm one was a bit thinner, but still nice. :cool:

I think I'm gonna order more of the 5.0 Hard picks today. These things rock! Another tool for the arsenal. Thanks!! :hyper:
  13. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've tried felt picks, they sound OK but the felt rips off as you play and you get a normal pick sound.
  14. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Just wanted to mention that felt picks don't last long. Get plenty.
  15. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    You might want to try the Rubber ones, I can't believe how good they sound. Especially the 5.0mm ones. Sounds just like my finger (nearly as thick too. lol). :)