1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass pickup magnets

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Venturella, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Venturella

Venturella

Feb 10, 2016
    Im thinking about getting ibanez sr1205 or ibanez sr5005. But i realized that there are magnets on the pickups of sr1205 while sr5005 doesnt. Does the magnets make any difference in sound quality and which is one is better bass?

2. Both will have magnets or they won't function.

3. All magnetic pickups, by definition, have magnets. That's a major part of how they work. You need to have a magnetic field for the strings' vibrations to disturb, otherwise there won't be any current induced in the coils.

In any case, it looks like you are referring to the fact that one pickup has exposed pole pieces and the other has covered pole pieces. The only inherent difference between the two designs is that covered pole pieces will be a bit further from the strings, when the pickups are set at the same height. Without knowing what kind of pickups we are dealing with, we can't make any other comparisons or generalizations.

4. Venturella

Venturella

Feb 10, 2016
    that is correct but i was talking about ibanez sr1205 have exposed magents while 5005 have them covered

5. kbr

kbr

Feb 27, 2006
    Oviedo, Fl
    You mean exposed vs covered pole pieces. Those aren't always magnets, hence the confusion. The newer SR1205 uses Nordstrands which have exposed pole pieces over most of their product line. Big Singles are the pickups in there by default. The SR5005 uses Bartolinis. Bartolini witchcraft is hidden by epoxy. There might not even be anything in there for all we know!

A myriad of different design choices will make those basses sound different to each other. As I've owned both (well an SR1206 and SR5006); Here's what I thought.

SR5006:
    Deep
    Round
    "Jazz Guitar" sound on chords

SR1206:
    Mid forward
    Aggressive
    Growly
    Cutting

They're both great basses. Get them both!

P.S. If the cover isn't magnetically reactive (like Epoxy or wood), it won't have any effect on pickup performance by itself.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016