Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass pickups picking up radio frequency

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 7, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Man, this is kinda annoying.

The pickups on my Ric 4003 get better radio signal than the stereo in my car.

Anyone has a solution to this problem? Any way to isolate the pups better?

2. Can't say as that problem has cropped up for me, but, hey!, now you can practice all the top-40 stuff without lugging around a stereo! :D

When it happens, are you near a transmitting tower for a radio station? ...or is it all the time? Call a guitar shop and get some opinions from some techs in the area; maybe other people have had similar problems near you. Good luck!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try changing the instrument cable (length).

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    well if you have ever played in detroit youd be all too familiar with this problem. I have this problem with my basses that do not have a metal shielded electronics cavity. not just lead painted. So copper foil your pickup cavities and youe electronics cavity and I will bet the problem dissapears.
    Todd

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My dad has that issue with his Mosright FUZZ FACE guitar pedal... picks up some espanola station or something like that from what i remember...

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I hate interference like that. My distortion pedal is always picking up some christian gospel station.