1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass pickups to fit a standard guitar humbucker rout?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBS_Johnson, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Hello all,

I have a couple frankenstein projects going on right now, and they would really benefit from a answer to this question. Are there any pickups that fit in a standard geetar humbucker rout? Especially any that sound good :rolleyes: I know DiMarzio makes the x2n-b, but I would like to find a cheaper alternative.

Currently I am leaning towards trying a guitar dual rail pickup, a violin bass mini humbucker(probably with custom rings to fill the gap), and I have seen mention of a firebird sized pickup as well. I would guess the firebird sized one is a guitar spec humbucker.

Any opinions? Also, I know there are differences in winding and such that differentiate bass pickups from guitar pickups. If anyone has any real insight into how this manifests when put together, I would love you forever :bassist:

Thanks,
    Jake

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    The EMG HB is excellent. I believe some guy who plays in Primus digs them, too. ;)

3. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    yes the firebird-style mini humbuckers have blades under the covers and have been used as eb-3 bridge pickups more than once. In that case the ones from wilkinson.

You don't need to build custom rings, you can buy rings to fit a mini hum in a humbucker place.

4. Thanks for the heads up in the EMG HB. I did not know about that one, though I want to stay passive on these instruments.

Any idea if the firebird pickups provide a decent bass tone? If they do I(in my limited scope of pickup production knowledge), could see any guitar pickup getting a decent sound given that it wasn`t super hot and the string spacing was not an issue. Just a theory though ;)

I have a while before I really need to find pickups for these two, and I think the one that will be full scale will end up routed for actual bass pickups. So I will keep looking in the mean time.

-Jake