1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Pickups : Which one should I choose?...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass Wave, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Yellow :smug:! I'm a new guy around here, so pardon my lack of experience in forums (I don't even know if this is the right place to ask my question...).

So here's my story... I've been playing bass since almost three years in a rock/metal (or metal/rock if you prefer). I currently play on a Ibanez Ergodine EDB 400 (I use a pick). Unfortunately, after all this years of playing, I've still got ONE big problem with this bass : I hate it's sound :mad:!!! It's just clumsy when I do arpeggios, it gets easely distorted, it's unclear and there's a big lack of punchy-midrangy tone. Sometimes it really feels like I'm an open wha.
    But... I love it's shape, I love it's thin neck :D!!! It's by far the most comfortable bass I've played with :bassist:!!!

So, I figured out I should change the pickups... but there are so many :help:!!! And the guys at the local music store don't really help: they're either guitarists or drummers...
    I know there are a lot of descriptions about them, but sound itself says more then words... and I don't wanna throw money away trying hundreds of pickups.

I love the bass sound of bands such as Tool and Isis, so I'm looking for pickups that could help me get this kind of clear-fat-punchy-midrangy tone.

Can anyone share their experience and help me choose the right pickups :help:? I'd appreciate, thank you!

2. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Questions I have for you :
    Do you not like your sound through any amp?
    Have you tried another amp and still not liked your sound?
    What amp are you using?

3. Well if you like the bass and the way it feels, I say mod it.

Maybe Bartolini's, or look into DiMarzio, Seymore Duncans...lots of info here, use search.

Double check your strings, trussrod, neck, nut and bridge as to the "clumsy sound"

4. EMG's are nice for rock. They're bright but clear. I had a set of EMG 35J's and they cut through beautifully.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try a different Ibanez bass. There are a large number of them with necks you'll like with better pickups. Trade in your old one. The difference in price will probably be no more than pickups and electronics. When you pick out a new bass, listen to it to see if it has the sound you want.

6. Well, I use an Hartke HA5500 Head and Yorkville YBX1510 Cabinet. I've tried it with a Peavey Blazer and an Yorkville American Tube YBA200. Still sucked :)! But I loved the way the American Tube sounded with an Ibanez Soundgear GSR 200. Best sound I ever had. Can't say the same about the bass (the neck is too thick it only has 22 frets). But I'm planning on buying a Gallien & Kr├╝ger Artist 1001RB-II though...

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    What kind of strings are you using? Really old strings will sound bad and dead... I would try that before investing a good deal of money in new electronics.

8. I was actually taking a peek DiMarzio's DP123 Model J, DP122 Model P and Carvin SP "Soap Bar" Series... But again, I really need to hear 'em, not read a paper about it... you know what I mean?

I'm not really familiar with the technical terms of it, but that "clumsy sound" is specially when I do arpeggios (you know that sound you get when you play with a wah rocked backward? Like it's coming from another room?) or when I hit the E string. It's not clear and clean enough... it's a bit like if I was playing with my fingers...

9. I've tried Dean Markley's Blue Steel, D'Addarios XL Nickel Wound and I'm currently using Smith's Electric Bass Strings (my favourite ones :bassist:). They're all "standard" gauge (45/65/85/105)... But I change my strings every month so I doubt it has something to do with 'em :rollno:...

10. Thanx, I'll try to learn more about them (www.emg.com, I guess...)

http://www.myspace.com/beyondechoes