Bass place in NYC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rocu, Dec 11, 2015.

1. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    I'll be in Manhattan for a few days next week. I probably won't have time but in case I do, are there any shops I should get to to check out bass guitars?

2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Copying and pasting this from another thread where this same question got asked:

MIDTOWN
    Guitar Center (West 44th street & 7th Avenue)
    - This is reportedly the new Guitar Center flagship store in NYC. I've yet to go to this store yet myself, despite the fact that I work about 5 blocks from here.

CHELSEA
    Sam Ash on 34th street & 9th Ave.
    The Hartke Bass lounge is effectively Sam Ash NYC's bass department. You can expect to see some Sadowsky's and Fender Custom Shop instruments here, along with a few other high end offerings that you won't see in a run of the mill Sam Ash store.

D'Angelico Showroom (141 West 28th street) This is formerly the location of GTR Store - I haven't been here since it was GTR store, but it was pretty cool.

30th Street Guitars (30th btwn 7th & 8th Ave). Great vintage/used gear, albeit a bit pricey

Dan's Chelsea Guitars (West 23rd street). More of a guitar spot, but also good for some cool vintage gear

THE VILLAGE
    Guitar Center (14th street btwn 5th & 6th Ave).
    The best bass inventory I've ever seen at any Guitar Center, and they've got a vintage room.

Matt Umanov Guitars (Bleecker Street). Cool vintage & new stock, and awesome pizza right across the street at John's.

Carmine Street Guitars - Rick Kelly is the guy who runs this place. He's made some amazing instruments for some of NYC's rock royalty. And he's got a series of instruments (including basses) which are made from reclaimed timbers. Some of that wood has come from historic New York buildings, and some of it dates back to the mid 19th century.

LOWER EAST SIDE
    Rivington Street Guitars (East 4th st, NOT RIVINGTON ST).
    I've been to this store once. It's a nice little spot with some cool, funky vintage gear.

Ludlow Street Guitars (Ludlow btwn Houston & Stanton St.) Effects pedal heaven. Some modern Fenders, but this store is geared a bit more towards guitar players. However, they are Aguilar dealers which is a nice plus if you're looking for amps. Plus they're right across the street from Katz's Deli. That's where you really want to get a sandwich.

SOHO
    Rudy's Soho (461 Broome Street)
    Rudy's was one of the legendary spots on West 48th Street, but they've closed the original shop and moved down here. I haven't been there yet, but the original Rudy's was one of the places where you could always find a great high end instrument.

QUEENS
    Sadowsky shop (Long Island City).
    I haven't actually paid the Sadowsky shop a visit since they were still in Midtown Manhattan in the late 90's. But Roger & crew are very accomodating, even if you're just there to get one of their awesome preamps.

BROOKLYN
    Main Drag Music (Williamsburg).
    It's pretty much all vintage stock here, with some very, very cool offerings.

Southside Guitars (Williamsburg). Great vintage offerings. They also deal in some modern gear (Nash). Very cool guys to deal with.

Fodera Shop - While they're not an instrument store, any time I've run into Joey Lauricella of Fodera he has been kind enough to invite me to come check out the shop.

STATEN ISLAND
    Mandolin Brothers -
    A little out of the way, but these guys know acoustic instruments & vintage, too

3. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Thanks SM, that's just what I was looking for.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Didn't Mandolin Bros close? I remember the original owner died sometime in the past year and his daughter said they wouldn't be able to remain open...but I haven't heard anything since.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021