1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BASS PLAYER GOING TO COLLEGE NEED HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by leakepeter, Apr 30, 2009.

1. leakepeter

leakepeter

Apr 28, 2009
    London
    Hi my name is pedro bandeira and i live in london i have been playing bass for 3 years now and i am going to college this year and i want some advice because i want to do somethings before i go to college.:help::help::help::help::help::help:

I not the best bass player ever but for now im learning and doing the best i can i mastered some things but i still have much to learn lol i used to play in a church and i already had the honor of playing with three time latin grammy award winner aline barros.

the first thing i need help on is equipment at this moment i have very crappy equipment and i have been saving up for a long time to buy equipment to make a home studio to give me a head start in the music world i this is my list of things that i will buy in the next 4 months and i want to know if there is anything that i could add

fender jazz bass

musicman stingray

boss gt10b with volume pedal

a cheap acoustic bass like a ashdown

a fender fretless bass

a electric double bass

leather strap

Extras

a fender squire guitar

a midi keyboard probably a yamaha kx49 or kx61

a midi interface

studio headphones

good sound system

a imac 24inch

platinum leads

a macbook for college

acoustic guitar

a multi effects pedal for my future fender squire

tell me if im forgetting anything important aswell kk ;)

the next part is because im very newbish is what programs are good to get for a home studio and for someone who wants to make music and develop their skills with music tech and etc

websites that can help me learn guitar and keyboard better will be good aswell i want to learn those two so that i can make some cool tracks lol and its obrigational in my college.

and the last request is i practice about 6 hours a day or more and i want some advice what are good things to practice to become better and better and i mean anything that i can practice be it slap tap any style and i also have a question about slap is it wrong to slap with my hands open??? and if yes then why do some pro bass players do it??

well thats about it guys i hope you guys can help me with these questions because im gonna start doing music college now and i feel hopeless sometimes as if im gonna fail and but i know that with good advice from awesome people i can make it i guess :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

well any other advice you guys can give me will be highly appreciated.

one last question is when i learn music theory should i learn just bass clef or should i learn treble clef??
    lol i ask to many questions.

i also forgot to ask earlier if a mixer is necessary or should i just plug it in straight into the midi interface and edit the sound with guitar rig and pedals and etc.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Welcome to TB!

I suggest you post your question in the Misc. forum.

For learning some good stuff, check out the link in my sig.

Good luck.

3. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    ebay seller bassrocker32,bassist/guitarist for Glory Bound & sessions
    I picked up a Grand acoustic/electric bass.I got it around christmas time for $115.00 shipped to my house I think the buy it now price was like 70 or 80 u.s. dollars.it's made in china .to me it sounds just as good if not better than some of the ones that go for 100.00 or more.I would suggest that you try and buy used and make a priorty list of items and start of that way.and what ever you do,take care of your college work first.

4. tcbass4ever

tcbass4ever

Apr 5, 2009
    learn everthing you can it will help you in the long run.depending on what you are going to with your music career.knowing all your maj and minor scales is a must ,if you dont
    read music start learning.just take it nice and slow.i am 43 and i am working on my ba
    degree in music right now.are you going for a degree in music or are you getting a degree
    in bass playing?either way you will learn theory,learning treble clef is part of my degree
    didnt have any choice on that one.it will not hurt you to know it.once you start learning
    how to read music it will help you.i can say this,i never went to college for music when
    i was younger and ive been playing bass25yrs.a degree in music will take you to many different levels and as your knowledge of music becomes greater so will your playing!
    good luck!